+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: What if China made first contact with aliens?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieoftheday View Post
    no more bollocks than God though
    Think I've heard of that. What's it for?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

montesquieu Guest

The strongest case for being a simulation are the really idiotic things that happen, like Trump's election, or that Korean guy with the funny dancing. Or The Apprentice.

Anyway for some reason it makes me think of this sketch:

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Think I've heard of that. What's it for?
    What's God for,? God knows.....
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    The strongest case for being a simulation are the really idiotic things that happen, like Trump's election, or that Korean guy with the funny dancing. Or The Apprentice.

]
    An event predicted in cartoon show 'The Simpsons' 16 years previously. http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...rump&FORM=IGRE

Even the animated visuals are almost identical to the reality.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

According to: http://www.astrodigital.org/astronom..._equation.html, unless an alien civilisation within our galaxy started transmitting 21,000 years ago, we are not going to hear it. So it follows no alien civiliation is going to pick up our broadcast terrestrial signals for a long while yet.
    Barry

I'm Paul.

No one ever seems to talk about the truely vast span of time involved. Yes there are billions of planets out there that could support life, or could have, or possibly will be able to. Many of these may not even exist yet and many have come and gone. The entire existance of the human race will come and go in what is really a very tiny instant compared to the entire time the universe will exist. An alien race will probably come and go in such a tiny instant to. I wonder what are the odds that there is another race in existence at the same time of us?
    ~Paul~

I'm Mike.

They'll convert them to communism, what else!

I'm Russell.

Of course, there’s always the possibility that the big dish antenna in China is not for SETI at all, just a smoke screen for the real reason it was built. To get free Cable TV!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Martin.

With 10 trillion galaxies in the Universe with 100 billion stars, mathematically there simply must be other planets capable of life.

We really are getting to the enough monkeys and enough typewriters = Shakespeare type of equation.

If we are the highest form of life, the Universe is in real trouble. Any being that does arrive here is going to treat us like vermin so we had better be careful what we wish for

We are seeing light from stars that originated before the Human race existed so we need to put this into perspective.
    Last edited by Minstrel SE; 17-11-2017 at 00:15.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    With 10 trillion galaxies in the Universe with 100 billion stars, mathematically there simply must be other planets capable of life.

We really are getting to the enough monkeys and enough typewriters = Shakespeare type of equation.

If we are the highest form of life, the Universe is in real trouble. Any being that does arrive here is going to treat us like vermin so we had better be careful what we wish for

Justin’s video on filters directly addresses this ... there are some big improbabilities without which at least out kind of life would never have emerged. String them together and that big number ‘filters’ down pretty rapidly. Well worth watching certainly were a few new ideas from my perspective.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast