+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What if China made first contact with aliens?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    montesquieu Guest

Default What if China made first contact with aliens?

Just read an absolutely wonderful piece in The Atlantic ... I don't normaly post links but this one is really worth a read.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...ontact/544131/

I'm Russell.

Aliens always come to Washington DC in the movies?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

montesquieu Guest

Well in this movie the come to Beijing ....

I'm Russell.

After reading the article, which is a good article well worth reading! But they are only listening for alien signals, they are not broadcasting with this antenna. I suppose it begs the question, if they hear from someone, what will they do with this information? Chances are, some idiot will want to send a return signal.

Personally I think that SETI is incorrect in their thinking, chances are that a space fairing race will not communicate with radio waves. Too much interference from natural phenomena, and it’s just too slow. If we hear a signal, it could be thousands of years old, and a return massage will take thousands of more years to get back, so, little for us to worry about really.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    After reading the article, which is a good article well worth reading! But they are only listening for alien signals, they are not broadcasting with this antenna. I suppose it begs the question, if they hear from someone, what will they do with this information? Chances are, some idiot will want to send a return signal.

Personally I think that SETI is incorrect in their thinking, chances are that a space fairing race will not communicate with radio waves. Too much interference from natural phenomena, and it’s just too slow. If we hear a signal, it could be thousands of years old, and a return massage will take thousands of more years to get back, so, little for us to worry about really.

Also once a civilisation moves from analogue to digital transmission, when a digital signal strength falls below the background noise level it cannot be reconstructed, unlike that of an analogue signal.
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

Just send them a letter, 'Royal Mail Special Delivery'. Next day is guaranteed!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Also once a civilisation moves from analogue to digital transmission, when a digital signal strength falls below the background noise level it cannot be reconstructed, unlike that of an analogue signal.
    What if they use a DAC though? There's lots to choose from
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

RothwellAudio Guest

...if they hear from someone, what will they do with this information? Chances are, some idiot will want to send a return signal.
    What's idiotic about that? Surely it would be rude not to. We don't want aliens thinking we haven't been brought up proper.

...chances are that a space fairing race will not communicate with radio waves. Too much interference from natural phenomena, and it’s just too slow.
    They travel at the speed of light - best anyone can do, as far as we know.

I'm Russell.

I suspect that a space fairing race would have mastered Quantum Entanglement, to send messages instantly over any distance. If you are traveling near the speed of light or faster, a radio signal would never catch up to you, you’d be outrunning it. And therefore worthless. So if we did make radio contact with a planet 500 light years away, it would take a thousand years for a radio signal to get there, and for the reply to get back. A very slow conversation. And chances are those transmitting wouldn’t be anymore farther along than us, and we would never meet. So every cent spent on SETI, could have been donated to me, and I’d have put it to much better use!

I suspect that a space fairing race would have mastered Quantum Entanglement, to send messages instantly over any distance. If you are traveling near the speed of light or faster, a radio signal would never catch up to you, you’d be outrunning it. And therefore worthless. So if we did make radio contact with a planet 500 light years away, it would take a thousand years for a radio signal to get there, and for the reply to get back. A very slow conversation. And chances are those transmitting wouldn’t be anymore farther along than us, and we would never meet. So every cent spent on SETI, could have been donated to me, and I’d have put it to much better use!

What, even an analogue radio signal, but surely they are the best/fastest......
    Nick

UK - Technics SP10, EPA 500, AT33SA - Roonserver on i5 NUC running Windows 10 Pro - Devialet 1000 PRO CI - Magico S5 - Finite Elemente Wall Shelf

Spain - Roonserver on i7 NUC running Windows 10 Pro - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Ergo IX

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast