+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestion for a good phono stage

I'm Aris.

Default Suggestion for a good phono stage

Hello,
    I am thinking of adding a second arm to my Dais.
    I need a new phono stage because the Croft 25 R has all the Inputs used.
    I would like a phono stage that allow two inputs (MM and MC) and possibly the mono switch.
    Budget 1000£ max.
    Any Suggestion ?
    Thanks and Happy new year to everyone !
    Nottingham Analogue Dais, Ace Space 12", Decca Super Gold, Croft Micro 25R, Croft Series 7R, Harbeth SHL5+, Oppo BDP-105D, Hama DIT2010

"Utopia is on the horizon. I move two steps closer; it move two steps further away. I walk another ten steps and the horizon runs ten steps further away. As much as I may walk, I'll never reach it. So what's the point of Utopia? The point is this: to keep walking." E.Galeano

I'm Paul.

I wonder if going for a solid state phono stage would be an idea, as you already have a valve stage. This will give you a bit of a mix of both worlds.

There is quite a few to chosse from. At the £1000 mark my suggestion would be to go with one of the smaller companies who are well established such as Rothwell, etc., as you can usually contact them and discuss what you are looking for.
    ~Paul~

I'm Dave.

Rega Aria fits the bill nicely.

I'm mark.

I was very happy with Trichord Diablo/NCPSU, till I bought (overbudget) Trilogy 907. 906 should be a good call under budget 2nd hand.

Both are flexible mm/mc with loading options

I'm James.

Get Glen to add a couple more inputs to your 25R. Room aplenty and loads of change for more music/better arm or cart ☺

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I'm Aris.

Thank you all for the suggestions, I will look into it.
    Surfing the net I saw the EAR 834P... even if it has only 1 input..
    Any opinion about it ?
    Nottingham Analogue Dais, Ace Space 12", Decca Super Gold, Croft Micro 25R, Croft Series 7R, Harbeth SHL5+, Oppo BDP-105D, Hama DIT2010

"Utopia is on the horizon. I move two steps closer; it move two steps further away. I walk another ten steps and the horizon runs ten steps further away. As much as I may walk, I'll never reach it. So what's the point of Utopia? The point is this: to keep walking." E.Galeano

I'm Dave.

Excellent phono stage. Usually my go-to choice when I do a turntable demo. I've been using the same one for over 20 years.

I'm Aris.

Thanks Dave.
    I saw one for 800 GBP...

I'm Dave.

If it's the MM + MC version, that will suit you nicely.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    If it's the MM + MC version, that will suit you nicely.
    I had that version.

I found the built in SUT's for the MC input pretty dull and thick sounding with each of my MC carts.

The MM input was OK and used with a better external SUT turned in a decent enough sound, but it was distinctly outclassed by the Graham Slee ERA Gold V phono stage.

The 834P is daftly overpriced second hand now.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast