+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Denon 103r - is it worth the aggro?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Bigman80 Guest

Default Denon 103r - is it worth the aggro?

Hi all,

I'm thinking aloud here so any input is welcome.

I am currently cartridge - less in terms of ownership. I have a AT33PTGII on loan at the minute. It's very good but isn't getting the hair standing on end if you know what I mean. I sold a ZYX R50 BLOOM due to a lack of detail and being on the warmer side of neutral. I've had a DL304, that was a bit lifeless bit very detailed

I've considered a Decca but the temperamental nature of it puts me right off owning one as my main cartridge. I recently heard a 2M black which was very good but not sure I could live with it every day, I also heard a DH-3 which was stunning but at £3500 is not an option. I am awaiting word on an Ortofon Vienna which I was also very impressed with. So that leads me to the DL103R. I hear one in a very high end setup and it was tonally impressive but I'm not a fan of spherical stylus.

I am thinking that I like what the Denon DL103R Does tonally but I'm becoming a bit of a stickler for detail retrieval. Is it worth picking up a broken cantilever 103r cartridge and getting a Fritz Gyger stylus and a slightly more compliant cantilever put on it?

If not, what would you look for instead.

Any suggestions welcome.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Kevin.

A boron cantilevered, Shibata tipped DL-103 in a brass TechneAudio body.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Geoff.

I was using a DL-103R before I got the R50 Bloom. It was OK, but the ZYX wiped the floor with it.

As I've mentioned before. You'd probably like the Goldring Eroica LX. It's way better than the Denon.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Kevin.

I was impressed with the Dynavector XX2 when I heard it.
    Cartridges are such a personal choice, it is difficult to recommend one.

Does it have to be MC?
    The AT150-SA might suit you if not.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

montesquieu Guest

The 1010 is a tonearm of respectable mass so with a good heavy headshell and possibly some extra weight on the counterweight (I have a ring that goes round mine provided by Angus) then you should get decent performance out of a DL-103R. They are always competent, but only shine where there is enough mass in the systen to get them digging in.

However, I always think using a paratrage on a 103 doesn't ultimately work, you get more detail, but less soul. (Though it does depend on the job that was done fitting the tup and how well it's set up). Anyway I had two done at Expert, a 103 and a 103R and both disappointed. So if you do have one retipped, I would say Fritz Geiger is probably the way to go. Though to be frank, if it were me I would leave well alone - it is what it is, a good honest, reliable cartridge, a great deal at its price point. The purchase price + retip money could be spent more wisely I would suggest.

I would suggest that there are better options - Shelter 501 and Ortofon Kontrapunkt/Cadenza line both provide soul and detail (I found Non-Smoking Man's Cadenza Blue really captivating on a visit to his some months back and I owned both a 501 and a Jubilee myself at one point). I use a vintage Ortofon SPU GE (eliptical) on my 1010, with Angus's extra ring again, and it sounds fantastic.

If you really are set on going for broke on detail you could look at a Lyra, I've had a few (Helicon, Dorian, Dorian Mono, Clavis, Argo II - the Argo being the best of them in my book). Not entirely to my taste any more (I take wholeness, harmonic richness, tone quality, front to back depth, over a cartridge with hyper-detail and pin-point L-R staging these days - hence my last 5 years or so with Audio Note Io2, assortied Miyajimas, and higher-end Ortofon SPUs, all variations on the vintage SPU theme) but they are something to experience for sure and some people rave about them. The 1010 without the extra counterweight should handle one no bother.

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    The 1010 is a tonearm of respectable mass so with a good heavy headshell and possibly some extra weight on the counterweight (I have a ring that goes round mine provided by Angus) then you should get decent performance out of a DL-103R. They are always competent, but only shine where there is enough mass in the systen to get them digging in.

However, I always think using a paratrage on a 103 doesn't ultimately work, you get more detail, but less soul. (Though it does depend on the job that was done fitting the tup and how well it's set up). Anyway I had two done at Expert, a 103 and a 103R and both disappointed. So if you do have one retipped, I would say Fritz Geiger is probably the way to go. Though to be frank, if it were me I would leave well alone - it is what it is, a good honest, reliable cartridge, a great deal at its price point. The purchase price + retip money could be spent more wisely I would suggest.

I would suggest that there are better options - Shelter 501 and Ortofon Kontrapunkt/Cadenza line both provide soul and detail (I found Non-Smoking Man's Cadenza Blue really captivating on a visit to his some months back and I owned both a 501 and a Jubilee myself at one point). I use a vintage Ortofon SPU GE (eliptical) on my 1010, with Angus's extra ring again, and it sounds fantastic.

If you really are set on going for broke on detail you could look at a Lyra, I've had a few (Helicon, Dorian, Dorian Mono, Clavis, Argo II - the Argo being the best of them in my book). Not entirely to my taste any more (I take wholeness, harmonic richness, tone quality, front to back depth, over a cartridge with hyper-detail and pin-point L-R staging these days - hence my last 5 years or so with Audio Note Io2, assortied Miyajimas, and higher-end Ortofon SPUs, all variations on the vintage SPU theme) but they are something to experience for sure and some people rave about them. The 1010 without the extra counterweight should handle one no bother.
    Tom you are my Hero! I only wish I had heard half of the cartridges you’ve owned!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bigman80 Guest

I'm not entirely set on it being MC. I have an option for either with the Jolida.

Geoff, Kevin, Tom. Thank you for the input.

Bigman80 Guest

The Lyra sounds of interest but I missed out on Floydroids which is a shame. I'm really hoping the Ortofon Vienna comes my way. It's from the Kontrapunkt line.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    The Lyra sounds of interest but I missed out on Floydroids which is a shame. I'm really hoping the Ortofon Vienna comes my way. It's from the Kontrapunkt line.

Missed the reference to that. German market I believe, not sure what 'our' equivalent was but definitely top end. Should be fab if you can get hold of it.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Missed the reference to that. German market I believe, not sure what 'our' equivalent was but definitely top end. Should be fab if you can get hold of it.
    I have heard it and it was stunningly good, just having to wait. Who knows, maybe I'll get lucky!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast