+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Denon 103r - is it worth the aggro?

I'm gordan.

hahah sorry marco, i guess it's better i write in my confusing english than in serbian.... i wanted to say i didn't hear what 103 can do before i heard it in 308, it really needs denon arms. is it better ?
    Gordan.
    Speakers: Oris Swing MkII
    Amps: Thomas Mayer 300b/ Hiraga La Maison de L'Audiophile 20
    Preamp: Silver AVC by eng. Ferenc Lazar
    Phono Preamp: Shishido LCR by Solaja Audio
    Decks: Garrard 301 Martin Bastin reworked/plinthed with Fidelity Research FR64fx
    Garrard 401 in eng Ferenc Lazar solid wenge plinth with SME 3012/2
    Cartridges: SPU Spirit/ Koetsu Black revisited by eng. Salai/ Miyajima Shilabe
    Step Up Transformers: Tango MCT 999/ Ortofon T-5000/ Lumiere SUT
    Digital: Shigaclone by eng. Ferenc Lazar with Lampizator Amber II
    Wires: of sufficient length

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Yup, I get what you mean now, and although I haven't heard one myself, based on what I know about 103s, would tend to agree. In which T/T and system did you hear a 103 on a DA-308?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm gordan.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Yup, I get what you mean now, and although I haven't heard one myself, based on what I know about 103s, would tend to agree. In which T/T and system did you hear a 103 on a DA-308?

Marco.
    garrard 401 on a skeleton plinth, tannoy MG, NAT 211 amps, slagle AVC, salas RIAA, A23 SUT.
    Gordan.
    Decks: Garrard 301 Martin Bastin reworked/plinthed with Fidelity Research FR64fx

Nice one. Would loved to have heard that. Was it a system belonging to a friend?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm gordan.

yes. he passed the deck to another friend and got himself EMT (actually various EMTs - 930 and 948).
    IMHO 401/denon combination sounded better but was certainly less user friendly, especially on that silly skeleton plinth.
    Gordan.

Superb stuff, Gordan. It's these sort of people, IMO, who make the most interesting hi-fi discoveries!

TBH, mainstream, modern hi-fi largely bores the pants off of me, which is why I rarely attend hi-fi shows these days, as it's all a bit 'meh'. Now if they were filled with demos of what you've just described, then that would be a different matter entirely...

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Nebojsa.

Just to correct Gordan. It was Denon DA-304 12" tonearm.
    Check picture:

I'm Harv.

Quite lovely Which spew is that?

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by A1000 View Post
    Quite lovely Which spew is that?
    Fab auto-correction, even more fab looking arm..

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I'm Harv.

intentional

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast