+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gyrodec SE with Orbe platter upgrade

I'm Adrian.

Default Gyrodec SE with Orbe platter upgrade

Just upgraded my turntable and very pleased with the result.

Improved tonality, voices and instruments sound more natural. Seems to have more warmth/depth in midrange, seems more detailed rendition of tracks, generally more controlled. Played Eva Cassidy - Fields of Goldas as I wanted to see if it had a similar impact to friends very expensive system in terms of detail and sound, not far off from it IMO. Quite noticeable that noise on track lead in is diminished, possibly less feedback and isolation due to chassis damping and new bolts. Before treatment if you tapped the chassis you then got microphone effect through the cartridge, now there is nothing I can detect aurally.

I also upgraded the Tonearm cable to a Furutech AG-12 which has opened every up, soundstage and detail.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Mike.

Its weird how much these changes can affect the sound isn't it? More to turntables than just a spinning platter I guess. Nice to hear of an effective upgrade, I'm cynical at the best of times. How much is the upgrade?

I'm Mike.

Sounds like a bonza result to me. Don't you love it when that happens ?
    Less bling, more integrity ©Spenagio

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Its weird how much these changes can affect the sound isn't it? More to turntables than just a spinning platter I guess. Nice to hear of an effective upgrade, I'm cynical at the best of times. How much is the upgrade?
    Well I was in two minds about it as its not cheap at £450. But I spoke with Mikey at Unique Audio, a great chap who sell Michel, SME and some very high end amps and speakers, he help me get my system together in the first place. We talked at length about upgrading to an Orbe Deck which really was out of budget and also SWMBO would not have been pleased as I would have raided funds for other things. Mikey advised that the Orbe platter upgrade to a Gyrodec was definitely a sonic improvement giving more depth to the overall musical presentation, in his words it was the best value for money, and then the next step if I ever got the would be an SME deck or similar.

The change in Tonearm cable in conjunction with the platter upgrade has also made a great difference, the standard cable that come with and SME arm is not that great, the Furutech AG-12 just opens everything up. So I find these two together work well, lots of detail, great control from low bass to the high end. So at the end of the day a £900 upgrade for both the Orbe platter and the Furutech AG-12. Worth it IMO.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

+ Reply to Thread