+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Black Cat Silverstar 75 Digital Cable

I'm openingabottleofwine.

£245! It had better be good at that price.
    Barry

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I know Barry it's a lot of money but it really is very good indeed... I got a slightly better price..

Luckily I have sold lots of gear recently so I could afford the Black Cat Cable otherwise it would have been out of the question ...
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Geoff.

Turquoise maybe.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Turquoise maybe.
    I think I have one of your cables somewhere Geoff... god knows where though...
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I could make some, but they would be either black or yellow.

In fact Marco is still using the yellow ones I made for him, presumably to his complete satisfaction.
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

Mine look nothing, but are 'the bee's knees'.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Gary.

Yup, the Black Cat’s a cracking cable...happy Bevs chuffed with it.

Posted about mine a while back when I got it, post (and more info on the cable) here.
    http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...zjam+black+cat

Use mine between my Oppo UDP-203 bluray player and the Dac.
    Sounds pretty spiffy, and after reading Bevs post, did a sanity check and plumbed back in a Bluejeans 1694a BNC cable I used previousy.

So...THATS why I bought the Black Cat cable
    Always nice to be reminded now and again...
    Last edited by Gazjam; 25-11-2017 at 10:23.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Yup, it is.

One of the things I suggested to Bev was that if your using very high quality digital kit you dont want to hamper its performance if you can help it, and given the quality of her kit it was worth aiming high for cables.
    Do it once, do it right and lose that nagging itch that your kits not doing its thing.

Cost aint neccessarily a factor on quality of course, as oor Brian’s Klotz (and no doubt you guys’) homebrew wires would show.
    Personal expereience though: I looked into digital hookups between transport and dac and listened to a fair few different digital cables and concluded that the Black Cat was noticably the best BNC cable Id heard in my system and allowed my digital kit to really do it’s thing.
    Using the RCA adapters it comes with, it was the best Rca Spdif cable I’d heard in my setup.

My other ‘last’ digital cable was for XLR connection from my Transporter to Dac, from an American Company called Morrow Audio...stumbled across them over on the Steve Hoffman forum, did some digging and tried one.
    Their Dig4 XLR to XLR blew away the other 3 XLR cables Id tried with it, really top notch.

Dont think about digital cables anymore, jobs a good’un.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 25-11-2017 at 12:16.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Dont think about digital cables anymore, jobs a good’un.
    Gary that's how I view the Black Cat cable... I can't see it being beat without spending a huge amount more...

I would have kept my lovely SLIC digital cable but I needed BNC connectors as my CD5XS only has BNC outputs and the SLIC is RCA only

Strangely enough the Silverstar was about the same price as the SLIC, give or take

The Silverstar also lets the 'boogie' of the Naim shine through...
    Bev

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12