+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mental images/interpretation of what you are hearing.

I'm Shaun.

Oh yeah, I certainly do. One of the main reasons I love this time of year so much is because it is dark early so the curtains can be drawn and the room lights switched off. That way there is nothing to distract from the stereo effect and the images in my head. Bring on imagination.

I'm Dennis.

Not wishing to Hi-Jack the thread, but almost implied is, what does music do to you? So many things for me.

Much of the period I love, mid 60s to ,mid 70s had poetic and psychological truths in the words which were very powerful when the right chord changes and harmonies were used. (progressive, and conveying an intended message).

But I also like Philip Glass, and don't know why, and I suppose the ways music interacts particularly with our subconscious minds, are numerous.

I'm Paul.

In a word no. When I sit and just relax with the hifi on I tend to clear my mind and not picture anything. Almost meditative sometimes.
    ~Paul~

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    Not wishing to Hi-Jack the thread, but almost implied is, what does music do to you? So many things for me.

Much of the period I love, mid 60s to ,mid 70s had poetic and psychological truths in the words which were very powerful when the right chord changes and harmonies were used. (progressive, and conveying an intended message).

But I also like Philip Glass, and don't know why, and I suppose the ways music interacts particularly with our subconscious minds, are numerous.
    Interesting, I love those early to mid 70's rock tunes , especially Prog Rock tunes and I also love the music of Philip Glass.

I'm graham.

yes esp when listening to ana caram

I'm Neil.

I do get mental images of where I was when certain nostalgic tunes are being played. What is a lot more common to me is having music in my head all the time, very vivid, even when I am not listening to anything. This is a pretty much constant phenomenon, but am not complaining. Currently I have “Little Red Corvette” playing in my head as I type this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm rupert.

Quote Originally Posted by farflungstar View Post
    Music has always painted pictures in my mind - I thought we were all the same?
    yeap, so true. it's all about images... (for me) but as Paul mentioned earlier, a meditative state is (again for me) sometimes also - but rarely - the case.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    Does anyone else have mental images whilst listening to music?

Our recall of images/places/experiences goes back to not long after we were born. I often find myself listening to a piece of music and linking it to something in the past, an experience or a place I have been or just an atmosphere, something intangible.

There are certain types of music that provoke these cognitive responses. For example if I listen to the sort of stuff that the ECM label produce (Lars Dannielsson/Wolfgang Haffner/Jan Garbarek) eerie stuff with a sort of haunting atmosphere and I am transported to the bleakness of The Tate Modern and the vast engine room in the bowels of the building. The music is austere and sparse, and this conveys to me the bleakness of this bare and brutal structure.

Many years ago I was driving home from work and at one point the clouds in the sky looked like they were about to swoop down and engulf the road, enormous castles of clouds, about to burst with the sun behind and the sky pitch black at the same time. Quite frightening. The soundtrack by Vangelis form the album 1492 has the sort of brooding/menacing sound that always brings these images back to mind.

Anyone else experience this sort of thing?
    Def, depends on music , sometimes good places , sometimes dark,,. ,,,,,,
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Steve.

Music bringing forth mental images used to happen to me more back in the seventies, can't think why.

Another thing, and this may just be me, but the design and colour of an album sleeve sometimes would affect my perception of the music contained. Eg. 'Love It To Death' by Alice Cooper seemed a darker album than say, 'Killer', and Massive Attack's 'Mezzanine' bleaker than 'Blue Lines'.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12