+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Speaker Tweaks

I'm Paul.

Default Speaker Tweaks

Here’s something interetsing. Upuntil yesterday I had some silicone pucks under my speaker stands. My wooden floor is rustic oak and so not very even. Spikes damage the wood and the silicone pucks are soft so prtect the floor and compensate forthe uneveness.

They looked a bit ugly so I drilled some 12mm holes in the base and push-fitted some M10 hex head cap screws into the holes so that the threads pointed downwards. I then screwed on some M10 dome nuts. The domes wont damage the floor and as the height is adjustable I can get the stands not to rock back and forth.

What I wasn’t really expecting was the difference that it made to the imaging and dynamics! It has really tidied it up. So there is definitely something in stand design and coupling / isolation. I didnt do this to change the way the speakers sounded I dont it to make the stands look better, so I wasn’t looking for an audiable result.

Another tweak that was just really an experiment that has seemed to work out well are these:

I noticed that some tweaters have a mesh dome covering them, which I guessed was to aid with dispersion. I knocked these up using some thin mesh and curtain rings. They have been stuck on with small bits of double-sided tape.

This was interesting too. I was listening to music while I put these one and as soon as I placed the domes over the tweater I noticed a differece. I moved the domes away and then back again a few times and there was certainly somethign different happening. When I stuck both on there really did seem to be an improvement in imaging again.

The domes were made from stuff I had laying around, so didnt really cost anything. The fixings for the feet cost around £10, so not bad in the costerformance ratio department .
    ~Paul~

I'm Rob.

It's good when a tweak works. Are your speaker cables Cat5/6?
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Martin.

Are the speakers exactly the same height as they were previously? If not that is going to have an effect on the imaging too. Possibly more so than the stand construction.

Can't beat a successful tweak made from stuff you have just lying about.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Paul.

I dont have speakers cables as such because the speakers are active. I use balanced TRS to XLR.

The height is now a little lower but only by about 20mm.

Free tweaks are the most fun to make, but unfortunately not the ones that tend to work the best, so I am well chuffed that these do.
    ~Paul~

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalsea View Post
    I dont have speakers cables as such because the speakers are active. I use balanced TRS to XLR.

The height is now a little lower but only by about 20mm.

Free tweaks are the most fun to make, but unfortunately not the ones that tend to work the best, so I am well chuffed that these do.
    Yes I too love a free tweak I can make myself. Tell me, are the pipes in the stands hollow? Have you ever considered filling them with some sand, or lead shot? A somewhat common practice. If the height is low, you could experiment with some thin shins under the front feet, to angle the speakers back a bit. It may or may not work out, but it’s free! Nice looking setup!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Andrew.

Nice work man. I would say the rings are 'focussing' the tweeters output more to your listening position.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I would imagine the tweeter 'rings' are altering the angular dispersion of the tweeters, and possibly the acoustic impedance match to free space.

Lovely tidy system; I like the sideboard/TV unit

(PS Are you a photographer? I notice you have some photography books of the work of Ansel Adams and of Edward Weston. )
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread