+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Decca curse?

I'm Stuart.

When I mount it on my 1210, the headshell assembly (rebodied cartridge + hardware + extra weight + headshell) comes to 29grams and I balance this out with extra weight at the counterweight.
    The Effective mass of the 1210 arm is 12, so similar to yours. On the Technics, the KAB damper makes a huge difference.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by StuN View Post
    When I mount it on my 1210, the headshell assembly (rebodied cartridge + hardware + extra weight + headshell) comes to 29grams and I balance this out with extra weight at the counterweight.
    The Effective mass of the 1210 arm is 12, so similar to yours. On the Technics, the KAB damper makes a huge difference.
    Stuart - In what way has your Decca (Blue?) been "re-bodied"? Is a completely new housing or do you use one of the available aftermarket clamps, such as the GB mounting block?
    Barry

I'm Brook.

I used to have a Decca Gold & absolutely loved it, not sure why I moved it on to be honest but I will have another at some point. I had no tracking problems at all by the way, in fact no problems at all with it. I think rather than making poor recordings sound rubbish it just showed them for what they are, and besides I don't have any poor records in my collection now, if it grades less than EX I sell it and buy a better copy.

I also agree with a previous poster with regards to a Benz Wood SL, I was very underwhelmed by one & sold it on sharply.

I'm Stuart.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Stuart - In what way has your Decca (Blue?) been "re-bodied"? Is a completely new housing or do you use one of the available aftermarket clamps, such as the GB mounting block?
    I use an ebony body from Stanley Engineering in Germany - readily available on that selling site. I also have their 4-pin connector in ebony. The body is a "slide in" sleeve. You have to remove the top lid and slide the tin body into the sleeve. It is a very firm fit and so no adhesive is required, yet it would be removable with care. I had Stan thread it for M2.5 rather than M2 screws as I think the latter are just too fine for wood (personal preference!).

I really have nothing negative to say about it. It takes a very slight hardness from the sound but the dynamics are the same. (I had an elliptical tip fitted by John Wright). I use either a Rock 2 or my 1210, into an EAR V20 and NS1000Ms, both of which have a reputation for being analytical. I just love it and it has become my main cartridge. It also looks a lot less Heath Robinson than the original!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456