+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Anyone use solid state for the bass and valve for mid and treble

I'm Bruce.

So, I'm feeling like a total impostor in this crowd, but I've done something not unlike this and much simpler in my system. I have a pair of SET amps monoblocked at 10 W each - the mids and highs are sweet but the bass is (was) pretty uncontrolled with my original speakers. Last year I went with two upgrades: a set of line transmission speakers with just a 4-inch driver, and a vintage McIntosh 250 SS amp. My preamp has two sets of outputs, one now leads to the McIntosh to drive a pair of B&W 500s and a subwoofer, while the other set feeds the monoblocks/line speakers. I essentially now have two separate systems driven by the same source, superimposed. I tuned the relative volume levels and balances of each system by ear. I wasn't expecting much but wow, I now have the sweet tube sound and a very tight lower end, it really worked. (The McIntosh side does a pretty competent job on its own, but the tube enhancement pushes this into another realm to my ears.) I'm sure this is still a junior system compared to what I'm reading about on this thread but I'm really enjoying it.

Cheers

Bruce

I'm Geoff.

The appreciation and enjoyment are all that matter Bruce.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm paul.

Yes indeed Bruce, if it sounds good to you that matters more than all the measurements in the world. Enjoy
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    Our own sensitivities and sensibilities have to come into this.

I've seen so many designers say that certain frequency ranges should not be divided across different drivers, and then another designer blatantly breaks those rules.

For eg., B Woodman states that the human voice must all be covered by one driver, (with the exception of fundamentals I suppose), which is about 300 to 3000Hz with his mid driver.

Then another designer of a new speaker has a Xover right in the middle of the vocal range, and it doesn't stand out as sounding particularly wrong.
    eh? 300hz is something like D above middle C. Singing voice fundamentals range from about 70-80 hz (a good Russian bass) to about 600hz (a good Coloratura Soprano) - what you need to cover the fundamentals is something like a Tannoy Dual Concentric that runs all the way from low bass up to 800hz-1khz. That mid driver is exactly in the WRONG place.

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    eh? 300hz is something like D above middle C. Singing voice fundamentals range from about 70-80 hz (a good Russian bass) to about 600hz (a good Coloratura Soprano) - what you need to cover the fundamentals is something like a Tannoy Dual Concentric that runs all the way from low bass up to 800hz-1khz. That mid driver is exactly in the WRONG place.
    300hz - 3000hz worked for me in a 3way horn set up.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by paulf-2007 View Post
    300hz - 3000hz worked for me in a 3way horn set up.
    Nevertheless you've put a crossover right on the middle note of the piano, around the higher end of baritone vocal range and lower end of soprano, or right where the cello and violin overlap as melody instruments. Not ideal I would suggest.

I'm Dennis.

I think that B W's argument was more about getting most of the harmonics from the same driver, the fundamentals could perhaps be from a separate driver, and these the ear is less sensisitive to.

It is difficult to remember verbatim a discussion with him some 20 years ago.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    I think that B W's argument was more about getting most of the harmonics from the same driver, the fundamentals could perhaps be from a separate driver, and these the ear is less sensisitive to.

It is difficult to remember verbatim a discussion with him some 20 years ago.
    Interesting point. Well that would certainly achieve that.

I'm Phil.

Hi again folks , I ended up buying a monocor sta800d amp £300 , these use all hypex modules , and you cant buy the parts for this money so a bit of a
    bargain I think , I managed to match the gain using a multi metre on ac , and used both volume controls on the sta800d to match the gain of the ming da 805 mono blocks , I had to separate the bass crossover from the mid and tweeter section , and all is now working great , after listening to a lot of
    well known tracks it has given the bass more punch and drive , and I think the extra current that the mid and tweeter are now getting has improved
    as well , i did try the amp running the whole system but its not for me , but doing bass duties only its great . hopefully my views wont change . phil
    Last edited by oceanobsession; 13-01-2018 at 19:38.
    Phil.

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by oceanobsession View Post
    Hi again folks , I ended up buying a monocor sta800d amp £300 , these use all hypex modules , and you cant buy the parts for this money so a bit of a
    bargain I think , I managed to match the gain using a multi metre on ac , and used both volume controls on the sta800d to match the gain of the ming da 805 mono blocks , I had to separate the bass crossover from the mid and tweeter section , and all is now working great , after listening to a lot of
    well known tracks it has given the bass more punch and drive , and I think the extra current that the mid and tweeter are now getting has improved
    as well , i did try the amp running the whole system but its not for me , but doing bass duties only its great . hopefully my views wont change . phil

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345