+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone use solid state for the bass and valve for mid and treble

I'm Phil.

Default Anyone use solid state for the bass and valve for mid and treble

Just wondered if anyone has used valves for mid and treble and solid state for bass , and is d technology best for bass work , are there any bass amps
    with attenuators to match the valves gain , can this be done by ear . are there any down sides to this . phil.
    Phil.

I'm Dennis.

A good approach if you love valve sound, SS grips the woofers and power and current are plentifully available.

I'm paul.

Yes, when I had 200hz front horns with compression drivers 118db, raal 140/15D ribbon tweeters and 15" open baffle bass tri-amped, I used valves for mid and treble and solid state to grip the bass. I tried big valve amps on the bass but ss worked better.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Will.

Perfectly valid concept, as long as the levels are matched you should be good to go. To match the levels properly you would need some form of measurement, doing it by ear will result in a skewed crossover point.
    Radford Revival
    www.radfordrevival.co.uk

I'm Phil.

Thanks guys , my ming da 805 monoblocks technical specs are

Frequency response *18Hz–30kHz ±1dB.

Output power: **40W
    Output impedance: *4Ω, 8Ω
    Input sensitivity: **400mv
    Input impedance: **100K
    Distortion: ***≤1% at full power
    Signal to noise ratio: *88dB
    Power dissipation: **196W
    Inputs: ***1 Gold plated RCA Phono
    Outputs: ***Gold plated 4mm posts

Would it be the 400mv input sensitivity that I'm interested in , I'm driving them with a tisbury pre , cheers phil.
    Phil.

I'm Neil.

Default Anyone use solid state for the bass and valve for mid and treble

Yes you will ideally be matching the input sensitivity, or you’ll have to start messing around with attenuation.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Phil.

Apparently 400mv sensitivity settings is great for cd players etc giving 2v , the tisbury pre has 10 and 20 db settings on one pair of phono plugs
    the hypex amp that I'm thinking about using to drive my 12 inch bass speakers are 26db gain , so now I'm getting confused , we have db and mv help phil.
    Phil.

I'm Dennis.

dB = 20 log V1/V2 gives the gain or loss in dB, where V1 and V2 are the two respective voltages.

But, you can simply run the output into a suitably high value potentiometer, and by suitably I mean at least 10 times greater than the output impedance of whatever feeds the pot, and then use the earth and wiper of the pot as a source to feed the following amp, the pot forming a gain control to match levels. Use a stereo log potentiometer.

I have been running my ADAMs from my ATC pre this way, using its tape outs, so that I can run my own (other) speakers as well from the normal pre out, and compare the two.
    Last edited by Pharos; 11-11-2017 at 09:12.

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by oceanobsession View Post
    , so now I'm getting confused , we have db and mv help phil.
    Phil, I've got measurement equipment and can match the gains for you, happy to help, no problem.

Give me a call

I'm Charlie.

That's what some horn systems do, when they have active subs. For instance my Avantgarde Duos have passive compression drivers in separate treble and midrange horns with an active unit containing 2 x 12 inch drivers driven by solid state amps with a crossover designed and built into the system. Hence my 6W TRON Voyager 20B SET power amp drives the treble and mid, whilst the lower freqs are driven by the SS active sub.

I know that some people perceive that the active subs are a weakness in the AG design, but if you want a passive bass horn, you need a massive room, as these are BIG. To be honest if AGs are set up properly, the integration isn't bad at all and not really noticeable in normal use IMO.
    R2R: Studer A820 1/2 inch 2 track; Otari MTR-12 1/4 inch 2 track; Sony APR 5003; Sony APR 5002; Studer A807/II. Vinyl: Platine Verdier Allaerts MC1B/Schroeder Reference & Model 2 Decca C4E/Hadcock 228 TRON Seven Reference phono. Keith Monks MkII RCM Other analogue source: Nakamichi Dragon with ANT4066 mods. Amplification: TRON Meteor preamp TRON Voyager 20B SET power. Speakers: Avantgarde Duo. Digital: computing at last with Prism Sound Lyra 2 A2D converter

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast