+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: KEF IQ7se opinion

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    I know you're right, macca. They are (IMO) an incredibly underated speaker.

I am just struggling a bit for space so I looked for an alternative. Sound wise there is no issue whatsoever.

I've convinced the Wife we need to convert the Garage so they will be relocating to another room at some point. May be a while but these Pioneers are going nowhere.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Yeah I would never sell my Akai SW175s, very similar to your Pioneers and from the same era. The big JM Labs that replaced them are not better, just different. They can't play bass like the Akais can, and I don't mean depth or power but with the Akais you can practically identify the model of bass guitar that is being played, the tone is so clear.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Yeah I would never sell my Akai SW175s, very similar to your Pioneers and from the same era. The big JM Labs that replaced them are not better, just different. They can't play bass like the Akais can, and I don't mean depth or power but with the Akais you can practically identify the model of bass guitar that is being played, the tone is so clear.
    There really are some fantastic older speakers that people just turn their nose up at. These Pioneers were a revelation. I owe Geoff a huge pint for A) recommending them and B) refoaming the drivers for me.

I'm Martin.

There really are some fantastic older speakers that people just turn their nose up at. These Pioneers were a revelation. I owe Geoff a huge pint for A) recommending them and B) refoaming the drivers for me.

You won't go far wrong listening to Geoff. He knows vintage. Probably because he is vintage. I got mine because I'd read for years in the mags that they would be rubbish but I wanted to see for myself.
    Current Lash Up:

Bigman80 Guest

vintage Geoff. New forum name?

I'm Geoff.

There really are some fantastic older speakers that people just turn their nose up at
    I don't know about turning noses up, but these are not on most folk's radar.

The original Spendor S100 from about 25 years ago. Beautifully balanced sound and punchy with it! Rare though.

There aren't that many speakers I'd want, but these are towards the top of my list.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Mind you there are a lot of rubbish 'Kabuki' speakers out there too. You have to do your research to get a quality set. People hear a pair of the crap ones and then tar them all with the same brush.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm James.

I would not go for any of the KEF speakers in their lower range and I would even give the reference range a pass especially as they are mega expensive.

However the LS5O is superb and the blades are something else altogether! The blades are truly extraordinary. Problem is they are £20,000!!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I don't know about turning noses up, but these are not on most folk's radar.

The original Spendor S100 from about 25 years ago. Beautifully balanced sound and punchy with it! Rare though.

There aren't that many speakers I'd want, but these are towards the top of my list.
    Now they are a fantastic sounding speaker and I agree with you there Geoff, I would love a pair!!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

Bigman80 Guest

£20000 !!!!!!! Crikey

I'm Geoff.

£20000 !!!!!!! Crikey
    If you are referring to the recently introduced 'tribute' S100 model Oliver, It's completely different apart from the visual similarity.

I've seen the old ones for between £500 and £1000, but not for a while. As I said, they're rare.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast