+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fitting Jelco 750 to Nottingham TT

I'm Julian.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but would it be possible to fit a Jelco750 to my Interspace Junior? Not that I am unhappy with the Notts arm, but I would like to be able to change carts at will. The Junior looks very much like the OP's early Interspace.

By the way Mike, can we have some listening feedback with this combo please?

Julian
    Julian.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Tea24 View Post
    Not trying to hijack the thread, but would it be possible to fit a Jelco750 to my Interspace Junior? Not that I am unhappy with the Notts arm, but I would like to be able to change carts at will. The Junior looks very much like the OP's early Interspace.

By the way Mike, can we have some listening feedback with this combo please?

Julian
    I'm guessing you can change arms, just send an email to NAS, they are extremely helpful. My turntable is sounding good now, as I stated earlier it takes a few days listening to get an idea of changes. Was playing some jazz today and I'm pretty sure this is he best I've ever heard it sound. Solid, good timing, bass is a accentuated, which isn't good in my system, but the speakers or room need adjusting to fix that I guess. Before I had the Jelco on a 1210 and that was good, but I think the NAS beats it. And I absolutely love its looks and simplicity.

I'm Julian.

Great! This gives me ideas.

By the way I couple my Notts table with a Pro-ject Speed Box SE, which has several advantages.

1. IMHO it definitely improves the sound.
    2. Rock solid speed stability.
    3. Speed adjustment.
    4. No need to move belt when changing from 33 to 45.

Julian
    Julian.

I'm Mike.

Great! This gives me ideas.

By the way I couple my Notts table with a Pro-ject Speed Box SE, which has several advantages.

1. IMHO it definitely improves the sound.
    2. Rock solid speed stability.
    3. Speed adjustment.
    4. No need to move belt when changing from 33 to 45.

Julian
    How do you connect it to the Interspace? I'm baffled. And it what ways does it improve sound? I think the timing is already pretty good on my Interspace.

I'm Julian.

You just plug it in and plug the speed controller into the mains. A strobe disc is then used to get the TT running at exactly the right speed.

The best explanation of what it does I took from Deco Audio's site:

"The circuit inside most turntables is in essence a very basic Resistor/Capacitor network. The capacitor is in place to make sure that the platter always spins in the right direction when you turn it on. This is a very cheap and simple way of making a turntable, and in a perfect world would be a perfectly satisfactory. However this not being the case the motor ends up directly seeing all the impurities and irregularities that are a feature of the mains supply.

For example whilst in the UK the mains is supposedly 50Hz it actually varies*, this can results both in absolute pitch change and stability problems. So the ability to generate a new mains waveform can be very beneficial, not only does it guarantee that the speed remains stable but it should also be possible to make it much cleaner with less noise and distortion than exists on the mains.

*in fact all the electricity board have to do is maintain an average of 50Hz with a 1% tolerance throughout the course of 24 hours, to ensure that AC powered clocks keep good time over the course of a day."

The sound, to me at any rate, certainly sounds more defined. In fact Tom FLetcher who designed the Notts tables offered one as an accessory & supplied them on some of his higher end tables - the Pro-ject one is just much cheaper.
    Julian.

I'm Tony.

You just plug it in and plug the speed controller into the mains.
    Plug what in? The Notts TT simply has a UK plug attached to it. I can't see anywhere on the speedbox that will accept a 3 pin plug?

Love what you have done to the NA BTW Mike!
    VPI Scout 1.1, Hana ML, Vanderveen MC10 SUT, WAD Phono3, Rpi3B+/Digione Signature, Xiang Sheng DAC-01, WAD KiT6550 and Reiver Edingdale SR

I'm Julian.

You plug the wall wart of the speed controller into the mains & the plug on the end of the TT mains lead into the back of the sped box - job done!
    Julian.

I'm Tony.

You plug the wall wart of the speed controller into the mains & the plug on the end of the TT mains lead into the back of the sped box - job done!
    Ah, I get it now.

Do they come with 3 pin versions as all I can see is two pin euro socket versions which is what confused me?
    VPI Scout 1.1, Hana ML, Vanderveen MC10 SUT, WAD Phono3, Rpi3B+/Digione Signature, Xiang Sheng DAC-01, WAD KiT6550 and Reiver Edingdale SR

I'm Julian.

Well I live in France so I have the 2 pin version but they make, or used to make, a 3 pin UK version. In fact my TT had originally a UK plug so I simply didn't bother with the earth wire when I put a 2 pin euro plug on the end - doesn't seem to make any difference & i needed the 2 pin wall wart for here, obviously.
    Julian.

I'm Tony.

Well I live in France so I have the 2 pin version but they make, or used to make, a 3 pin UK version. In fact my TT had originally a UK plug so I simply didn't bother with the earth wire when I put a 2 pin euro plug on the end - doesn't seem to make any difference & i needed the 2 pin wall wart for here, obviously.
    Took a bit of time but I can see you're right.

The model is the Pro-Ject Speed Box SE II which retailed at about £400 and not the current cheaper version which will only work with Project TTs.

Looks like the Pro-Ject Speed Box SE II is now discontinued though.

Might be worth looking out for secondhand...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast