+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fitting Jelco 750 to Nottingham TT

I'm Julian.

Well Deco audio will sell you the Bastin one for £500 which includes a strobe disc; when I bought my Pro-ject it was about £250 if I remember right but that was about 10 years ago.
    Julian.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Tea24 View Post
    Well Deco audio will sell you the Bastin one for £500 which includes a strobe disc; when I bought my Pro-ject it was about £250 if I remember right but that was about 10 years ago.
    Too expensive! My whole TT and arm cost me less than £500!

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Intenso View Post
    Plug what in? The Notts TT simply has a UK plug attached to it. I can't see anywhere on the speedbox that will accept a 3 pin plug?

Love what you have done to the NA BTW Mike!
    I was lucky I sent it back to NAS - at first I didn't, they sent me a new arm base for my Jelco but it didn't fit, so they said it was best if I sent them the TT. They advised motor was noisy and spindle bent, so good to get that changed, and also milled the arm board so it now looks good as new, all this - and more! and they only charged me £80. They're obviously passionate about what they do, as they were really doing me a favour, they certainly didn't make any money out of me!

I'm Mike.

Glad to report that this is now the best TT I've had. I've owned in order - RP3, Heybrook TT2 with RB300 then briefly OL Silver (I didn't like the silver - the counter weight is very hard to set and the bias is a fiddly piece of string). A 1210 with the Jelco which I liked, but it doesn't have the detail resolution of the Interspace, and I didn't fancy the upgrade path. So kept the Jelco, cos I love its detachable headshell. Then got the Interspace, which came with RB300, and left it for ages while I figured out how to mount the jelco, that story is above. The interspace with the RB300 wasn't anything special, it wasn't bad either. Its only after sending the Interspace to NAS and them fitting the tonearm base for the Jelco, that the deck now sounds like something better than all the previous decks I've owned, it has a new motor too which probably helps. I see no need to ever move on from this, bollocks to spending thousands on tiny improvements in sound!

I'm Russell.

A fine looking setup Mike! Most impressive for what you’ve got invested!

From looking at the photo, the tonearm looks slightly low in the rear. Does it have VTA adjustment? If not, a shim may be used to raise it up a bit. If it is in fact low in the rear, it could just be the camera angle? When I say shim, I mean just a plastic disk that is cut to match the base, of a given thickness. If you get it right, chances are you’ll never need to adjust it again anyway. But if you are able to get the bottom of the cartridge parallel to the record, it doesn’t hurt if the tonearm is slightly uphill, as long as it doesn’t drag the edge of the record as it gets closer to the spindle. Even a thin wedge between the cart and headshell can be used to square the base of the cartridge to the record.

Mounting the cartridge into the headshell, there is what they call “overhang”. You see the long slots in the headshell that allow moving the cart forward and back a bit. When you place the alignment gauge on the platter, and try to square the sides of the cartridge with the lines on the gauge, it will line up with one set, but not the other, until you get the overhang, or distance forward just right, then it will line up with both sets of square lines. It’s not that difficult really.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Shaun.

My Interspace came with an RB250 which was nothing very special so I replaced it with the Origin Live Onyx which was a huge step forward. I was going to fit the Jelco but was then put off having heard about the mounting collar issue. If I am buying a brand new tonearm I do not want to then have to pay out more money for an after market mounting collar. I do though love detachable headshells. A very forward thinking device.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    A fine looking setup Mike! Most impressive for what you’ve got invested!

From looking at the photo, the tonearm looks slightly low in the rear. Does it have VTA adjustment? If not, a shim may be used to raise it up a bit. If it is in fact low in the rear, it could just be the camera angle? When I say shim, I mean just a plastic disk that is cut to match the base, of a given thickness. If you get it right, chances are you’ll never need to adjust it again anyway. But if you are able to get the bottom of the cartridge parallel to the record, it doesn’t hurt if the tonearm is slightly uphill, as long as it doesn’t drag the edge of the record as it gets closer to the spindle. Even a thin wedge between the cart and headshell can be used to square the base of the cartridge to the record.

Mounting the cartridge into the headshell, there is what they call “overhang”. You see the long slots in the headshell that allow moving the cart forward and back a bit. When you place the alignment gauge on the platter, and try to square the sides of the cartridge with the lines on the gauge, it will line up with one set, but not the other, until you get the overhang, or distance forward just right, then it will line up with both sets of square lines. It’s not that difficult really.

Thanks for the advice Alpha, I was thinking last night how the tonearm looked a bit down at the back, its easy to set VTA, you just loosen alen bolt in tonearm collar and it moves up and down. NAS also sent me a cartridge gauge which I'm getting the hang of now, don't know why I used to bother bringing my TTs to the local Audio T to get them to change cart, duh! I've tried a few carts on it now, I think the Goldring is best, but the other 2 may be a bit worn. I listen to vinyl about 4 hours a day. I understand this is more than some folk! I did pay a good price for this TT and arm, but as Ying & Yang would have it I bought an expensive (for me) cart a few months back at £400 and I broke it after only 2 days. That was my first and last expensive cart, now I won't go above £200.
    Last edited by Mikeandvan; 14-11-2017 at 18:02.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    My Interspace came with an RB250 which was nothing very special so I replaced it with the Origin Live Onyx which was a huge step forward. I was going to fit the Jelco but was then put off having heard about the mounting collar issue. If I am buying a brand new tonearm I do not want to then have to pay out more money for an after market mounting collar. I do though love detachable headshells. A very forward thinking device.
    NAS provide an arm base especially for the Jelco, which makes the collar redundant. The guy that bought my OL Silver seemed happy with it, personally I rate ease of use, which is why I don't bother with record weights and such.

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Thanks for the advice Alpha, I was thinking last night how the tonearm looked a bit down at the back, its easy to set VTA, you just loosen alen bolt in tonearm collar and it moves up and down. NAS also sent me a cartridge gauge which I'm getting the hang of now, don't know why I used to bother bringing my TTs to the local Audio T to get them to change cart, duh! I've tried a few carts on it now, I think the Goldring is best, but the other 2 may be a bit worn. I listen to vinyl about 4 hours a day. I understand this is more than some folk!
    Yes it’s nothing to it once you’ve done it a few times. And at 4 hours a day, you’re getting your money’s worth!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123