+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fozgometer

I'm Jayson.

Default Fozgometer

Hi all, Has anyone have use a fozgometer to set cartridge azimuth? Are there any other alternatives to check and cartridge bias without spending too much like a fozgometer?
    Thanks
    Jayson
    Musical Fidelity AMS 35i / Electrocompaniet EMC 1UP / Transrotor ZET 3 + Konstant M1 Ref. psu / Jelco TK-850S / Hana ML / Bigbottle mk3 phono stage / KEF Reference 3 / Auralic Mini / Chord Qutest / Isotek Aquarius / Sbooster mkII psu

Mains cables: Viablue X40 mains cable + Furutech NCF plugs + SR Orange fuses
    Speaker cables: MIT AVt MA
    Interconnects: MIT AVt MA / MIT Matrix 12 / Zavfino Majestic tonearm cable
    USB:Curious
    Rack: Solid Tech Hybrid
    Accessories: IsoAcoustics Orea Indigo + Bronze / Gaia II / SDS soundeck

I'm Clive.

This method worked well for me in the past. You need a multimeter and a bit of patience but I got really satisfying results.
    https://www.analogplanet.com/content...azimuth-part-2
    I used a really cheap Behringer equaliser instead of low and high pass filters, cost £30 on ebay.
    Last edited by CliveG; 09-11-2017 at 20:22. Reason: additional information

I'm Paul.

I have one of those hifi test records and just followed the procedure in the instruction. Having a Rega arm I did not adjust azimuth but was able to at least checkit was OK.
    ~Paul~

I'm Jayson.

My primary purpose is to check the bias or output for L and R channel if they are even
    Musical Fidelity AMS 35i / Electrocompaniet EMC 1UP / Transrotor ZET 3 + Konstant M1 Ref. psu / Jelco TK-850S / Hana ML / Bigbottle mk3 phono stage / KEF Reference 3 / Auralic Mini / Chord Qutest / Isotek Aquarius / Sbooster mkII psu

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jayson1173 View Post
    My primary purpose is to check the bias or output for L and R channel if they are even
    Fozgometer and test records are really about the setup though it did identify an issue with an Ikeda cartridge I had.

If it's setup then a test record & mono button is really all you need. If you are worried about the functioning of the cartridge, it to Johnny at Audio Origami for a full checkover (coil measurement and microscope tip evaluation).

I'm Jayson.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Fozgometer and test records are really about the setup though it did identify an issue with an Ikeda cartridge I had.

If it's setup then a test record & mono button is really all you need. If you are worried about the functioning of the cartridge, it to Johnny at Audio Origami for a full checkover (coil measurement and microscope tip evaluation).
    Hi Tom, I have no issue with the cart. as I only bought it new a week ago. I just want to make sure it’s azimuth is correct as I have a feeling the right channel is a little bit louder than left.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jayson1173 View Post
    Hi Tom, I have no issue with the cart. as I only bought it new a week ago. I just want to make sure it’s azimuth is correct as I have a feeling the right channel is a little bit louder than left.
    I had a Fozgometer for a bit and there's no doubt it was useful, but I found generally that I could set things up using a test record and the mono button and found that the Fozgometer was merely confirming what I was doing by ear. I sold it in the end but there's no doubt they are handy devices.

As I say though it did pick up a problem with an (also new) Ikeda cartridge which turned out to have an imbalance in the channel outputs, that I then was able to send back to where I bought it from. (Juki in Hong Kong - I have to say his customer service over this was first class). I had initially wondered if this was my imagination but the Fozgometer provided a visual measurement of the effect.

I'm Jayson.

I just ordered HFN Test LP and start from it.

I'm Jayson.

Smile

Anyone who got a Fozgometer that I can loan please.

+ Reply to Thread