+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Class D

I'm Mike.

I've got one of Duncan's IR2092 implementations, with a whacking great 500VA tranny and decent BIG PSU caps.

Extremely pleased with it.
    Less bling, more integrity ©Spenagio

I'm Rob.

I have just put together another Class D amp based on the IRS2092 chip. Good reviews of this chip on Diyaudio, so ordered some really expensive boards to make sure that I was going to get the best bang for my buck.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IRS2092-C...sAAOSwCUtanOjj

I have tons of bits. The transformer is from a subwoofer that I blagged from a pile of crap outside a house that was being dumped, PS is stuff I already had. The SQ?......Astonishing......seriously one of the best ClassD's I have heard.....and I have built a lot. Not bad at all for basically the cost of the boards....Oh....and mine were only £10 each
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Mike.

Still loving mine.
    Less bling, more integrity ©Spenagio

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Idlewithnodrive View Post
    I've got one of Duncan's IR2092 implementations, with a whacking great 500VA tranny and decent BIG PSU caps.

Extremely pleased with it.
    I have one too and it's very good in lots of ways. I also briefly owned a NuPrime STA9 (2 x200w though it can be monoblocked) which I thought was excellent for the money (about £900 IIRC) and I really would love to try out a monoblocked pair of them sometime with the Tannoys - my suspicion is this would be very impressive indeed, although a single amp fell short of really providing the deep emotional connection I provided by a good push-pull valve amp like a Radford STA25 or 100, EAR 816, or Leben CS-1000P, all of which I've had driving my Tannoys at some stage.

I heard several other class D amps of various stripes at the Munich high-end show. As above, I've got to be honest and say I my view is a really good valve amp does music better, as perhaps do some of the higher-powered Class A solid state offerings from Nelson Pass and those working in a similar vein.

But I do think Class D's time is imminent and for some applications (such as power hungry speakers) it may even be here already. The Nuprime stuff in particular seems to have something going for it, the ST-10 stereo amp - a generation ahead of the STA9 - recently had a monolock version released, while the company also has a Reference series that from everything I read is close to state of the art by any standard, regardless of amplifier class. I'm in Taiwan again at the end of the year (where they are manufactured) and will definitely make time to go and hear them. I have to be honest and say I'm worried that I may end up thinking of splashing out.

Would I dare to replace, say, my Radford STA100 with a Class D amp? Possibly not, and certainly not exclusively, as I'm a sentimental old git, but I suspect at some point in the future (not sure when exactly) I will only be able to justify it on the grounds of nostalgia ... perhaps it will be a bit like driving a vintage sports car that was in its day on the top of the world, but in purely objective terms now wheezes a bit against a modern hot hatch. But we aren't **quite** there yet I suspect. Still need to keep some spare valves on the shelf.

I'm Geoff.

I have a pair of Nuprime STA-9 power amps and they are remarkable. As good as the STA-9 is as a stereo amp, it is transformed when used in mono mode where it delivers close to 300w. In monoblock mode, bass is more extended and dynamics much improved. However, it also sounds much more valve like in mono mode with better detail resolution. I have just noticed that Nuprime have introduced a new STA-6 model which shares the same design but is rated at 90w in stereo mode. The new amp comes in at 450 Euro, so that a pair would be under £800. If the STA-6 is anything like it bigger brother I would think it difficult to beat in price/performance terms. The grip that these amps have over speakers is impressive.

Geoff

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    I have a pair of Nuprime STA-9 power amps and they are remarkable. As good as the STA-9 is as a stereo amp, it is transformed when used in mono mode where it delivers close to 300w. In monoblock mode, bass is more extended and dynamics much improved. However, it also sounds much more valve like in mono mode with better detail resolution. I have just noticed that Nuprime have introduced a new STA-6 model which shares the same design but is rated at 90w in stereo mode. The new amp comes in at 450 Euro, so that a pair would be under £800. If the STA-6 is anything like it bigger brother I would think it difficult to beat in price/performance terms. The grip that these amps have over speakers is impressive.

Geoff
    That's interesting Geoff. I think I'll explore that further - do you know if these can be monoblocked like the STA-9?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    That's interesting Geoff. I think I'll explore that further - do you know if these can be monoblocked like the STA-9?
    Yes. In monoblock they deliver 160w. http://www.nuprimeaudio.com/product/...v=79cba1185463

Geoff

montesquieu Guest

Yes. In monoblock they deliver 160w. http://www.nuprimeaudio.com/product/...v=79cba1185463

Geoff
    Interesting. Thanks.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Interesting. Thanks.
    BTW The STA-9 is under £700 which gets you 120w in stereo and 290w in mono mode.

Geoff

montesquieu Guest

BTW The STA-9 is under £700 which gets you 120w in stereo and 290w in mono mode.

Geoff
    Yes as I mentioned I had one briefly but good as it was, as a single stereo amp it wasn’t quite there in my setup though the potential was clear.

I was unable to get a second one to monoblock on demo so I took the loss on the single one rather than buy another. A mistake perhaps but £1400 is a bit pricey for an experiment to satisfy curiosity.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast