+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Class D

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

I've owned 3 Class D type amps..

The first was a Topping (can't remember the model) purchased on eBay from China and I think it was only about £25.. for the money it was very good indeed, I ran it with LS3/5a's which was not a perfect match to be honest. The second was a Temple Bantam Gold (ok Class T) which was also very good but I think the best I owned was the Trends TA 10.1 (might have been the 10.2, I can't remember)

If I only had £200 to spend on an amp then I would happily live with the Trends amp

The only thing that I found lacking on all 3 amps was a lack of emotion somehow, can't quite put my finger on it
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    I've owned 3 Class D type amps..

The first was a Topping (can't remember the model) purchased on eBay from China and I think it was only about £25.. for the money it was very good indeed, I ran it with LS3/5a's which was not a perfect match to be honest. The second was a Temple Bantam Gold (ok Class T) which was also very good but I think the best I owned was the Trends TA 10.1 (might have been the 10.2, I can't remember)

If I only had £200 to spend on an amp then I would happily live with the Trends amp

The only thing that I found lacking on all 3 amps was a lack of emotion somehow, can't quite put my finger on it
    I really can't believe how many people are judging class d on the basis of low cost products. I have several class d and class t amps including the infamous original Sonic Impact device which I bought as part of a travelling kit with Soundpax speakers. It was good at its price level but in no way comparable to my current Nuforce and Nuprime amps. If judging these devices make sure you are comparing devices at the same prices level.

Geoff

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Sorry about that Geoff...

No I have never heard a more costly Class D amp so cannot judge
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Rob.

The original 5w Tripath 2024 chip (@10% distortion), as found in the original Sonic Impact amp which I had are a world away from what is available now. The TK2050 and linear power supply is a great amp. I am hoping the IRS2092 is as good or better.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    Sorry about that Geoff...

No I have never heard a more costly Class D amp so cannot judge
    A lot is down to the power supply, as with other amplifier types. A good power supply is expensive no matter what technology is used.

Check out devices by Nuforce and Nuprime. In my opinion it is difficult to better them at their respective price points.

Geoff

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    The original 5w Tripath 2024 chip (@10% distortion), as found in the original Sonic Impact amp which I had are a world away from what is available now. The TK2050 and linear power supply is a great amp. I am hoping the IRS2092 is as good or better.
    I can strongly recommend the Nuforce DDA-100. Mine is currently doing service in a secondary system having upgraded to a more powerful class A/class D device.

Geoff

I'm rupert.

I recently bought this tiny amp from aliexpress for 20 odd dollars (shipping included). As has been said before, depending on the psu used, it can sound much, much better than the price tag would suggest ! It is also available with a bluetooth module which is quite convenient if used as a desktop system. The nice thing about this particular amp is that it uses two amp chips, one for each channel.

I'm Rob.

The TPA3116 chips don't sound too bad. although I found them a little lacking, not full bodied enough for me.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Dennis.

This thread has made me look paranoically at reviews of B& O's ICEpower amps, does anyone have opinions of their quality both in build and SQ?

I'm Pavel.

At one point I auditioned the Teac AI-301DA (which, as far as I understand, is based on ICEPower 50ASX2) extensively and it was not bad at all. However, the NuPrime IDA-8 was much better (but much more expensive as well).

Edit: as far as I recall, I listened to both amplifiers via their digital inputs, but the NuPrime’s DAC theoretically was much better than the Teac’s and probably accounted for a good portion of the difference.
    Last edited by Shovel_Knight; 16-02-2018 at 23:34.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast