+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why vinyl? - asks Paul McGowan

I'm Howard.

Default Why vinyl? - asks Paul McGowan

If the cleanest, lowest distortion, most extended frequency range, and greatest dynamic range capabilities are the goal, why would any of us consider vinyl? We know digital has these parameters in spades.

Yet, vinyl persists—not because it’s better at any of the aforementioned, but in spite of it.

And that is because it remains one of the most musically satisfying mediums we have.

For those that have spent the time, care, and effort to set up a great vinyl playback system, the rewards are many. Sure, it’s technically limited, but so too is a vintage sports car or a lovely Leica camera—both of which have traits not shared by more modern “technically superior” products.

It’s tempting to conflate metrics proving a specific point with the conclusion we hope to convince others of—I certainly have been guilty of this in the past—but the fact is when we measure sheer musical enjoyment vinyl has to rank right up there.

As an engineer, I like hard facts. As an audiophile, I just like great music.

Vinyl, as well as digital, can provide remarkable listening experiences. The trick, at least for me, is to focus not on technical aspects of either, but just the pure listening experience.

END
    Well, hello.

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
    Sure, it’s technically limited, but so too is a vintage sports car or a lovely Leica camera—both of which have traits not shared by more modern “technically superior” products.
    Oh yes, as a person who has spent years using vintage film cameras and vintage Kawasaki triple motorcycles I so agree with this comment. I do feel though that most modern technology doesn't last because it has no 'soul'. I now ride a Harley softail for that very reason. I am not interested in 'sterile' 'plastic' modernisms. Maybe other people see beyond that...?

I'm openingabottleofwine.

When it comes to music, I'm equally at home with either digital (CDs) or analogue (vinyl and FM radio, and very occasionally tape). I'm not partisan and enjoy both; not finding one superior to the other.

However when it comes to photography, like Shaun, I greatly miss my film cameras (Leicas and Exactas). Modern digital cameras are easier to use, have by comparison far larger store (i.e. not limited to 36 frames of a roll of 35mm film) and if you mess up a shot it can be deleted. The downside is with them I just don't enjoy taking photographs anymore - worse still, I seem to have lost "the eye".
    Barry

I'm Dennis.

Isn't objectivity sterile by definition?

I'm Howard.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    However when it comes to photography, like Shaun, I greatly miss my film cameras (Leicas and Exactas). Modern digital cameras are easier to use, have by comparison far larger store (i.e. not limited to 36 frames of a roll of 35mm film) and if you mess up a shot it can be deleted. The downside is with them I just don't enjoy taking photographs anymore - worse still, I seem to have lost "the eye".
    Same here. I have returned to my Olympus OM4ti and am about to but a Pentax Spotmatic F for peanuts money.
    Well, hello.

I'm Geoff.

Never use my 35mm cameras. Only got a couple of Pentax SLR's & lenses left now.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread