+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Amp to match my Tannoys ?

I'm frank.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    There is actually an amp for sale on this forum that would drive the Tannoys superbly. The Quad 909!

It's powerful, very well built, sounds extremely nice, has no 'nasties' and can be used with a simple passive pre-amp.

And it won't go wrong!

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...boxes-amp-mint
    +1. In fact any of the Quads from a trusty old 303 up will suit them well. The 303(and later405) Tannoy HPD combo was pretty much a recording studio staple back in t'day..

I'm openingabottleofwine.

A nice healthy divergence of opinion going on here!
    Barry

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by cooky View Post
    The 303(and later405) Tannoy HPD combo was pretty much a recording studio staple back in t'day..
    Indeed, and for 'sound-per-pound' value, that's probably the way to go. However, for me, vintage Tannoys (HPDs or MGs) still sound best on the end of a top-notch, reasonably powerful push-pull valve amp, with good grip and control, whilst also delivering the beguiling musical qualities of tubes.

However, such valve amps cost a lot of money (as it's mostly in the quality of the transformers), so Mike, unless you've got a minimum of £5k to throw at things, forget it and stick to SS.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Mike.

Lots to think on, which is what I wanted. As mentioned already I'm in no rush so I'll just keep watching the classifieds and try and organise demos of kit if I can.

Gary at Audio Emotion is very good and local to me so I'll be watching his used list closely, the same with Jordan's who are 5 minutes from me too.

My EWA M-50 Power Amp is a powerful great sounding amp on the Tannoys and will take some beating, I had Autobahn by Kraftwerk playing for my dad before the recone and it was like we were back in the Usher Hall listening to them live. So I more than likely should keep the EWA and match it with a pre amp, I might just demo/borrow some pre amps in the first instance.
    Last edited by mikeyb; 07-11-2017 at 10:42.

I'm sorted.

My Quad QMPs produce an excellent sound through my Ardens (even better since snagging Jerry's L10) & I think I'm right in saying they're a similar design to the 909?

I'm Dennis.

In the 70s when running a Nelson Jones 10+10, I chanced on a 303. It lasted 1 day, the bass was woolly and undamped.

The 405 is not much better IMO, but the 909 is very good.

I'm gone.

The Quad 405ii has much more control than the original 405.
    I upped from the 405 to the ii and consider it to be the first real hifi amp that I owned.

I'm Richie.

I consider selling the Croft back to you, if you were interested.

I'm tony.

Mike,
    What about a EWA pre to match the power amp....makes sense!

If you fancy trying tubes I will lug my Kel 84 power amp and mono blocks across.

Ive got the monos plumbed in using the TQ as dac/pre-sounds lovely.

Can bring the tvc/tissie and bte to let you try some passives.

Try to persuade Brian to bring is croft pre /power.

As a left field I can also bring a few t amps-mini t/temple audio bantum/mono blocks-they can really surprise just how good they sound.

The scottish mafia is hear to help!!!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by wee tee cee View Post
    If you fancy trying tubes I will lug my Kel 84 power amp and mono blocks across.
    Good shout, Tony. I think Mike should hear those in his system. For me, every Tannoy DC aficionado should hear his or her speakers with both tube and SS amps, before making a final decision on which way to go, as the difference in sonic presentation is marked

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast