+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Amp to match my Tannoys ?

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Not that I share your enthusiasm for Tannoys, but I have heard quite a few in my time, in a variety of systems.
    Regard my opinions as objective rather than subjectively rose tinted.

If you want "good clean bass, thunderous bass " then forget smaller valve amps, SETs, 300B etc.
    You need summat that will get a good, clean grip of those large drivers and not let go.
    Highish current, decent damping factor solid state (50wpc minimum), or valve with serious muscle (if you can lift it without grunting, then it ain't right for you ).

And (as you know!) it is best to hear them for yourself in your system if you want to avoid the boxswap merry-go-round.
    Get your mates round, hold an amp bakeoff. Try a few. Get some loaners.
    Good luck!
    It's funny how circumstances change, we've had a complete turnaround in the setup of our living room and now that I have a separate area for music I could have bought any large speaker I wanted. The Berkeley's were bought to suit the main area of the living room and sit against the wall, my wife thought the Berkeley's were perfect for that. This of course was before we decided to completely change the living area, typical lol. But now I have them and have been reconed they're not going anywhere soon, hence my thoughts about amp matching.

My EWA M-50 Power Amp certainly has power and grip, it's was like injecting my TQ Claymore with steroids lol, it totally transformed my PMC 21 speakers, so I might look at a decent Pre as the Xiang one doesn't suit me. I'd like to try that Herron Audio one but not so keen to buy before try as getting rid of unwanted gear is a lottery just now.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Amp bakeoff would be a good idea. Give you an idea what you are looking for.
    Been thinking about that too

I'm gone.

One of the best Tannoy combos I have heard was a pair of 12 inch HPD in Lancaster cabs (loaned to me for a Scalford Show) driven by my valve/ss hybrid Unison Research Unico Secondo integrated amp - 80wpc, iirc - quite a few folk rated it the best sound at the show.

EDIT - ah, OK - I see you are more interested in preamps now.
    Shame you didn't buy that Pure Sound L10 had up for sale !!

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    One of the best Tannoy combos I have heard was a pair of 12 inch HPD in Lancaster cabs (loaned to me for a Scalford Show) driven by my valve/ss hybrid Unison Research Unico Secondo integrated amp - 80wpc, iirc - quite a few folk rated it the best sound at the show.
    I've seen that amp mentioned a few times with Tannoys, in fact the Unison Research make was the very first amp I wanted to upgrade to when I was getting rid of my Rega Brio.

I'm Geoff.

There is actually an amp for sale on this forum that would drive the Tannoys superbly. The Quad 909!

It's powerful, very well built, sounds extremely nice, has no 'nasties' and can be used with a simple passive pre-amp.

And it won't go wrong!

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...boxes-amp-mint
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Bigman80 Guest

Heard a quad in my system recently. Might have been a 405? I can never remember the numbers of Quads!

It didn't get close to the Crofts or the FB-Monos.

Never heard 909 though. Could be a different beast.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Heard a quad in my system recently. Might have been a 405? I can never remember the numbers of Quads!

It didn't get close to the Crofts or the FB-Monos.

Never heard 909 though. Could be a different beast.
    It is. The 405 and 405/II can't hold a candle to the 909. The 909 is far more refined.

I've heard most of the Quad power amps at one time or another and the only two I really appreciated were the 306 and 909. And I'm fussy!

I've got a 306 rigged up with my Cheviots at the moment and it works extremely nicely. Makes a change from my usual Class A gear.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Peter.

Mike ... I think you were exactly correct when you were going to buy the EAR 8L6. Like many on this forum, I've tried (too) many amps with Tannoys, and most of us seem to have settled on KT88/120/150 or EL34 push-pull valve amps.

Talking of Crofts, I once owned a Series 4SA valve amp, which I foolishly sold to buy a transistor amp in my days when I was seduced by high-resolution and 'detail' I suspect that amp would be perfect for Tannoys ... not that you ever see them secondhand, as the lucky owners have an amp for life.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    It is. The 405 and 405/II can't hold a candle to the 909. The 909 is far more refined.

I've heard most of the Quad power amps at one time or another and the only two I really appreciated were the 306 and 909. And I'm fussy!
    I don't doubt your words, Geoff. Whatever version I had in mine lasted about 3 hours before permanent removal.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Grant.

yeah the 909 is a nice big amp. Pity there is no MF A1000's around. I reckon it would be very good with Tannoys too
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast