+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Amp to match my Tannoys ?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    "Tubing is stronger than rod" was one, and it is true that for a GIVEN AMOUNT OF MATERIAL PER UNIT LENGTH this applies.
    Yes. That's an interesting one. I don't know but suspect weight for weight (not necessarily of similar materials), but with similar external dimensions it could be true. Due to things like compression and tension and lateral effects? Within limits, obviously a fag paper thick tube ain't gonna be too strong. Unless made of Graphene maybe?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

RothwellAudio Guest

Using tubing instead of rod is about weight reduction. By removing the material at the core of a tube - which isn't doing much for strength - you reduce weight without losing much strength. Similarly, you can have holes in beams to reduce weight without losing much of the strength.

Anyway, that's getting a bit off-topic.
    Yes, I do agree that some people seem to latch on to an idea and then go mad with it as if it's the only thing that matters. Big power supplies - which the uninformed equate with good power supplies - are another example. I know one guy who bought a 1000VA transformer for a power supply for phonostage which required probably no more than 10VA. Nuts if you ask me. He had no idea how a voltage regulator works or what could be done to improve one, but he could look in a catalogue and select the biggest transformer available.

I'm Nick.

Nick here, second post, just realised I missed the previous 10 pages of this thread when adding the Quad 405 idea, already rehearsed earlier, so apologies, I'll read the thread next time...
    Per above, having avidly read reviews advocating spikes, concrete plinths, and signal cables capable of transmitting national grid levels of current, a qualified electronics engineer mate poured scorn on much of it, hinting darkly about noise in power transmission, the fridge, washing machine, and interference from small children as being far more significant.....
    Got a rude shock a few years back, when I had Quad 33-303 at home at the same time as a new Linn setup. In a straight comparison, you could hear the difference, slightly better clarity, less warm, a scrape more detail, but in reality, nothing that would transform your enjoyment / appreciation. I found nd the decisions recording engineers make have far greater real impact....

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by NickGazz View Post
    In a straight comparison, you could hear the difference, slightly better clarity, less warm, a scrape more detail, but in reality, nothing that would transform your enjoyment / appreciation. I found the decisions recording engineers make have far greater real impact....
    Yes, maintaining a sense of perspective on all this is not a bad idea. Don't let the paranoia stop you enjoying music!

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    Yes, maintaining a sense of perspective on all this is not a bad idea. Don't let the paranoia stop you enjoying music!
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm Dennis.

My point really was that a little knowledge overheard, and without a full study and understanding, can become a Chinese Whisper.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Default 'Chinese whispers'...

Indeed....and so it often is with 'numbers', in terms of how genuinely meaningful (and therefore beneficial) they are to the listener

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Mike.

Well this thread just kind of died, but just in case anyone hasn't read elsewhere I'll just say that I ended up buying a Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP Power Amp which is now being controlled by the matching Pre Amp on loan from HiFi Corner in Edinburgh, who have been brilliant to deal with.

Since this photo was taken I've added an Intel NUC and a new HDPlex Linear PSU for my digital side and a different cartridge - Shure M55em with Jico SAS stylus I've also raised the Tannoys up about 8 inches using stepstools lol.

I'm going to have a wee clear out of bits and pieces so I can buy the pre amp, mainly a couple of spare cartridges, a Tonearm (maybe), a TT, and an integrated Amp, a linear PSU, I'm not into keeping stuff just for the sake of it so it would be as well sold off.

Once the pre amp is bought, my next move might be to have Paul at RFC build me new crossovers but I'm still thinking about that.

Some might have noticed that I've not been posting much lately, that's because I've been too busy listening to music, which can only be a good sign

I'm Martin.

What are you using for stands there Mike?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Mike.

Default Amp to match my Tannoys ?

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    What are you using for stands there Mike?
    A pair of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XH5W2..._wuOKAb6WJ2V07

I thought it was a cheap way to find out if raising them would improve them as I didn’t have anything else lying around to try

However I think they’re about a inch maybe inch and a half too high, I might drop them a bit by cutting the feet down.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast