+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Amp to match my Tannoys ?

I'm Mike.

Default Amp to match my Tannoys ?

Right guys, I've now sold my TQ Claymore Amp and I'm wanting to find the ideal amp to match my Tannoys Berkeleys (15" HPD 385 drivers).

I'm currently using an EWA M-50 Power Amp with a Xiang Sheng DAC Pre, the two might be sold off to add to the TQ funds, although I'm not averse to just adding a really good Pre Amp into the EWA M-50 Power Amp.

So I'm looking at a budget of anything from £1000 - £1750 give or take. Can be integrated, pre/power, valves, Solid State, not really fussy. I'm just looking to get the best out of my final set of speakers.

My tastes include everything from Americana, Female Vocalists, Electronic, Prog, Classic Rock, Hard Rock. I do also like to go to 11 at times too. I like good clean bass, thunderous bass ( I love live music ), good vocals, but I'm easily put off if treble is a bit harsh or edgy as I hate that.

I just don't want to buy blind without advice as not much is selling just now and don't want to buy and not like it then have to try and get rid of it in this poor market.

Rest of system is my heavily modded Technics 1210, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Denon Gold cart, Firebottle Vivant Phono stage, Raspberry Pi with Allo Boss DAC and of course the Tannoy Berkeleys, all of these items are keepers.

Remote control would be useful but not a deal breaker. It must look good too, although I realise that everyone's taste is different.

I SHOULD have bought Martin's Yoshino 8L6 but by the time I'd made my mind up and sold my TQ it was gone. Another poor decision on my part

Modern or vintage considered.

So if anyone can help that would be great.

PS: I forgot to say second hand preferred to maximise bang for buck

I'm tony.

Mike,
    Brian has a croft pre/power combo- reckon they would sound fantastic with Tannoys. They may not got to 11 as you sometimes require but the big tannoys are very efficient. Might be an idea to see if Brian could bring them over.

They are very much amps for life like the tannoys- Glen does an integrated and various combos as you dont need a phono stage. You could buy new!!!

Failing that a 300b like Garys LDA is sublime but a few bob over your budget.

I'm Hugo.

I was so impressed by the Clef Audio Solist 50 integrated amplifier that I have now bought one. It's a 50w amp but Class A up to 10w, which covers most needs. I wrote a few thoughts here http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...t-50-Amplifier . One of its nicest characteristics is that it does not need to be cranked up to sound good, unlike many other amps that I've heard - it has a luscious Class A character with plenty (actually loads) of depth even at low volumes. I don't sell Clef, but it's a veritable bargain.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by wee tee cee View Post
    Mike,
    Brian has a croft pre/power combo- reckon they would sound fantastic with Tannoys. They may not got to 11 as you sometimes require but the big tannoys are very efficient. Might be an idea to see if Brian could bring them over.

They are very much amps for life like the tannoys- Glen does an integrated and various combos as you dont need a phono stage. You could buy new!!!

Failing that a 300b like Garys LDA is sublime but a few bob over your budget.
    Funnily enough I've been looking at Croft ( I sold a Croft pre amp a few months back, typical!)

Ok 11 might be pushing it in the music room with the size of it , but I like to rock now and again and I've no doubt a Croft combo would manage this no problem.

I still like the look of that Herron Audio Pre Amp in the classifieds, it's just a pity it's black. Mind you it gets very good reviews and it might be a good match for me M50 power amp.

I'm in no rush, it's all sounding pretty good just now, but the Xiang Sheng DAC/Pre is holding it back I feel.

I might be need to organise a wee visit here to try out some amps.

Bigman80 Guest

Just get Alan to build you some Monoblocks, Mike. The version I have would drive your speakers without a problem. I'm pretty sure Alan could answer any technical concern or query and these be brand new rather than used. Find a chassis that you like and he will build them into them. IMO they are a no-brainer. If you were closer I'd lend you mine for a test run. Cagey has a pair, ask his opinion too.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Ammonite Acoustics View Post
    I was so impressed by the Clef Audio Solist 50 integrated amplifier that I have now bought one. It's a 50w amp but Class A up to 10w, which covers most needs. I wrote a few thoughts here http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...t-50-Amplifier . One of its nicest characteristics is that it does not need to be cranked up to sound good, unlike many other amps that I've heard - it has a luscious Class A character with plenty (actually loads) of depth even at low volumes. I don't sell Clef, but it's a veritable bargain.
    Hi Hugo,

I had forgotten about that one, I looked the look of it from your review and it sounds very much like what I am after. I'll maybe see if can have a demo from somewhere.

The matching phono stage would make a nice setup in the rack too. Not that I'm after a phono but the pair match nicely.

Thanks for the reminder about it.
    Last edited by mikeyb; 07-11-2017 at 07:54.

I'm Adam.

"lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Andrew.

Croft or Radford work well with Tannoy.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm gone.

Not that I share your enthusiasm for Tannoys, but I have heard quite a few in my time, in a variety of systems.
    Regard my opinions as objective rather than subjectively rose tinted.

If you want "good clean bass, thunderous bass " then forget smaller valve amps, SETs, 300B etc.
    You need summat that will get a good, clean grip of those large drivers and not let go.
    Highish current, decent damping factor solid state (50wpc minimum), or valve with serious muscle (if you can lift it without grunting, then it ain't right for you ).

And (as you know!) it is best to hear them for yourself in your system if you want to avoid the boxswap merry-go-round.
    Get your mates round, hold an amp bakeoff. Try a few. Get some loaners.
    Good luck!

I'm Martin.

Amp bakeoff would be a good idea. Give you an idea what you are looking for.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast