+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Amp to match my Tannoys ?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Thumbs up Trust your EARS, not 'numbers'...

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    Been a great discussion, most of it over my head...
    Indeed, and that's the point I was making earlier... 90% of hi-fi enthusiasts are subjectivists, who aren't technically minded; they just want something that sounds good to their ears, plain and simple. Therefore when discussions on forums become too technical, most will switch off and lose interest.

Or worse... Attempt to understand what's being discussed, but get it wrong, and then use that information as the basis on which to buy equipment, often with the result of said equipment not delivering, sonically (which is all subjectivists ultimately care about), what they'd been led to believe by the 'numbers' (or graphs).

Or perhaps also being adversely influenced by so-called 'experts', who can talk a good technical game, but have the discerning ears of 'Derek the Deaf'!

You can see, therefore, in that respect how easy it is for mistakes to be made by laymen, using measurements or technical spec to 'prejudge' the efficacy of equipment...

Last night, even though my setup is sitting in the middle of the room all pushed together the speakers started to come on song, most likely due to having been run for about 7 or 8 hours a day since they came back.
    No doubt, Mike, as speakers only fully come on song when a signal has been passed through them for a while. In that respect, they need to 'warm up' like anything else

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Indeed, and that's the point I was making earlier... 90% of hi-fi enthusiasts are subjectivists, and aren't technically minded; they just want something that sounds good to their ears, plain and simple. Therefore when discussions on forums become too technical, most will switch off and lose interest.

Or worse... Attempt to understand what's being discussed, but get it wrong, and then use that information as the basis on which to buy equipment, often with the result of said equipment not delivering, sonically (which is all subjectivists ultimately care about), what they'd been led to believe by the 'numbers' (or graphs).

Or perhaps also being influenced by so-called 'experts', who can talk a good technical game, but have the discerning ears of 'Derek the Deaf'!

You can see, therefore, in that respect how easy it is for mistakes to be made...

No doubt, Mike, as speakers only fully come on song when a signal has been passed through them for a while. In that respect, they need to 'warm up' like anything else

Marco.
    oh there is so much wrong with that statement
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Such as?

It's certainly the result of my experience to date, which is why before I'm going to have a 'serious' listening session (reviewing equipment or when people are visiting for a bake-off), I put a CD on repeat and turn the volume up to normal listening levels, for an hour or so before they arrive, along with making sure that the equipment itself isn't being judged from cold.

Oh, and I also ensure that the room itself is warm (but not too warm), not only for guests to be comfortable, but because hi-fi equipment (especially speakers and cartridges) sounds crap in a cold room!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Such as?

It's certainly the result of my experience to date, which is why before I'm going to have a 'serious' listening session (reviewing equipment or when people are visiting for a bake-off), I put a CD on repeat, and turn the volume up to normal listening levels, for an hour or so before they arrive, along with making sure that the equipment itself isn't being judged from cold.

Oh, and I also ensure that the room is warm (but not too warm), not only for guests to be comfortable, but because hi-fi equipment (especially speakers and cartridges) sounds crap in a cold room!

Marco.
    most objectionalists would say the speaker wont change after its initial 5 minute break in. I was of course playing devils advocate hence the ner
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Lol@objectionalists - how apt (in many cases)

I don't give a flying toss what they think - I *know* what I can [very clearly] hear!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Dennis.

Speakers do take a while to 'loosen up', particularly the suspension, of woofers and mid/woofers, maybe a couple of weeks at high usage.

With my second pair of ATC 50s A.J. of ATC said that the bass resonance would shift by about 10% after 'break-in', and that was exactly what happened. I do not think that they change over a two hour working period after that initial break in.

Also, getting the electronics up to equilibration temperatures makes much sense, they probably being optimised for that temperature.

The lovely woman in post 80 may make me go deaf.

Ha, you've better taste in women than in your hi-fi proclivities!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Croft or Radford work well with Tannoy.
    Leak ST20 should be on that list
    Paul

Thorens TD 124, Thorens 12" Arm refurbished by Alfred, Shure M55, Denon 103r ,whest PS30R , Auditorium A23 Sony XA20 ES, Benchmark DAC 1 HDR, Elite Townsens 600c Pre,
    DPA Enlightenment DAC, , , Radford STA 25 Series 3, Aurex ST S80 , Tannoy Monitor Golds 15" Tannoy York Enclosures, TEAC DS H01, Isotek Substation, Abbey Road Reference Speaker Cables
    and some other stuff

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by tannoy man View Post
    Leak ST20 should be on that list
    Yes. The Stereo 20 works surprisingly well driving Tannoys. It's an amp I've used with them several times. Not to mention it sounds pretty good.

I had a phone chat with my mate (who really ought to be a member here ) earlier.

He has Tannoy Chatsworth's with Monitor Golds and normally uses an EAR 861 or Monarchy Audio SM-70 Pro to drive them. Today he took delivery of a Creek Destiny 2 integrated and he advises me that (unsurprisingly) it sounds absolutely marvellous with the Chatsworths.

It's an amp I've been wanting to try myself for some time. Sooner or later, the right one will come my way.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Nick.

Default At risk of being dinosaur.... but what about a Quad 405?

I'm really nervous about suggesting this, but.... I'm with the "go with your ears" guys.
    I bought a pair of Berkeleys when they were new (donkeys years ago), and partnered them with a Quad 33-405 II combo, and a Thorens TD125 etc. The Tannoys are really efficient, so you don't need the grunt to drive them, but frankly, this combo has a lake of spare transient power, and the Berkeley's could more than handle it. CS80 harmonics on Vangelis, kick n the gut rock, Bach Toc and fudge, utterly fab, as well as chamber classical, I found playing with the roll off on the speakers and pre-amp allowed me to engineer the balance of warm to bright. I've had Linn, Axis, and currently Shahinian Arcs, so do know what post fossil sounds like. I still miss them, and wish I'd never parted. Don't know if this is heresy?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast