+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Age and condition of CDs

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Bob.

Default Age and condition of CDs

I am currently ripping all my CD's to .flac, I have got to about 100 so far and just got my first error, the first track on a best of the Doors cd wouldn't rip.

I bought the Philips CD 101 the first week it hit the shops in 1983 I think, I know I was the first one to buy one from the Hi-Fi shop I used in Streatham.

Then I had to spend lots of time and money on bus fares going up to Covent Garden to the only shop that actually sold CD's in London at that time.

Anyway back to the thread, I have to say I have lived in a couple of building sites since owning the CD 101 and had some very drunken and loud parties, not every CD was put back in its case in pristine condition, I know wine and beer spillages have been wiped off with all sorts of clothing items, and I am sure some have been trodden on. For the last 8 years they were all in cardboard boxes in a very damp house in Orkney (About 30ft from the high tide line).

So some of these well abused CD's are now 34 years old and this is my first failure. The rest still sound the same as the day I bought them.

EDIT: I do look after them much better nowadays :-)
    Last edited by bobvfr; 06-11-2017 at 19:15.

+ Reply to Thread