+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tenuto Platter Mat review

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I have a sorbothane mat too. Can't use it though, as it leaves smears of oily residue on records.
    If you keep using it eventually the residue goes, but you do need to keep cleaning your records. I just put an old one on the TT and leave it to soak up the muck!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Ked.

I was blind tested by the owner of a PTP lenco using this mat. When he put the mat on, I thought he had changed the cartridge to something more detailed and musical. I did not A/B it at Guy's, but his SP10mk2 with this mat was fantastic.

I'm Paul.

Thanks for the review. Food for thought. Just now I'm using an SDS mat with an OL mat as a cover. I feel this combination does an excellent job of damping the Sony TTS-8000 platter but doesn't alter the sound much when compared to the original oil filled mat which, sadly, is warped.

The internet says the motor of my Sony can drive a heavy mat but mechanical sympathy for the 40 year old motor and bearing gives me real pause for thought. You've got me wondering again. Hmmm....

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hermit View Post
    Thanks for the review. Food for thought. Just now I'm using an SDS mat with an OL mat as a cover. I feel this combination does an excellent job of damping the Sony TTS-8000 platter but doesn't alter the sound much when compared to the original oil filled mat which, sadly, is warped.

The internet says the motor of my Sony can drive a heavy mat but mechanical sympathy for the 40 year old motor and bearing gives me real pause for thought. You've got me wondering again. Hmmm....
    Sorry!,

There's a 40 year old motor in the SP10 and it's spinning it with ease. I wouldn't be without mine now. I do envisage needing to repair the brake at some point but for the improvement in sound it a price worth paying. Welcome to come for a listen and see for yourself!

O

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Paul.

Thanks Oliver. I'm sure I'd enjoy your system very much. Sadly my domestic situation means I rarely venture too far from home these days.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hermit View Post
    Thanks Oliver. I'm sure I'd enjoy your system very much. Sadly my domestic situation means I rarely venture too far from home these days.
    Ah, fair enough. Have a chat with Guy, see if there's a try before you buy option?

I'm Paul.

Good suggestion but I need to overcome my weight anxiety before I trouble Guy. Part of the problem is that the Sony is really a rare deck and not as easy to replace as yours if the weight did eventually make it go tits up.

Bigman80 Guest

Yes the Sony is a rare beast. I'd be precious about it!

I'm jamie.

oh dear what have i done lol,ive got one coming from guy mid march,oli i hope i hear the same as you
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    oh dear what have i done lol,ive got one coming from guy mid march,oli i hope i hear the same as you
    You’re lucky, I phoned to buy one about 3 months ago and was told they’d get back in touch within a few days once they’d checked stock, still waiting

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast