+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tenuto Platter Mat review

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Bigman80 Guest

Default Tenuto Platter Mat review

For the first time ever, I am completely perplexed as to what to say about an addition to my system. This isn’t because its crap, its because I can’t think of a way to describe the effect it has had. I originally heard one of these on a visit to Phonomac’s abode. His system is all solid state and I wrongly assumed that the stunningly focused sound he had achieved was purely down to that. I became suspicious of my own equipment, thinking I hadn’t bought as well as I thought when I returned home and listened to my own.
    I borrowed Phonomacs AT33PTG believing the ZYX wasn’t performing at its best and I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was. It’s a Hi-Fi bargain BUT it didn’t make my hair stand on end. SO, I went off to Jimbo’s for a listen to his system and heard this really focussed system that was incredibly revealing and focussed. I went home and felt like there was a huge change needed. I contemplated selling the Firebottle Monoblocks and the ZYX but I just couldn’t see either of those things being the issue. The Slagle Preamp had a reputation for exposing the leading edge “too Much” (not the case here thus far) So what’s the issue!!!!!
    I looked at my Japanese Pioneer speakers and thought, “Ah! It must be those”. Jim and Angus BOTH have very excellent Speakers. So off to eBay I went but nothing took my fancy. I still wasn’t convinced either. CD was still razor sharp and heartless so what’s going on here?
    I sat there for a couple of hours just thinking about how two totally different systems at Jim’s and Angus’s had such clear sharp lines and transparency and then it hit me, They had both waxed lyrical about their platter mat!. Jim had the VPI standard mat and loved it, Angus had a Tenuto and loved it. I decided to take a punt and buy something new. I found Guy’s number on his Puresound website and tentatively enquired about a “B” stock Tenuto Platter Mat. Luckily, Guy was a pleasure to deal with and we made a deal. A couple of days later the perfect looking platter mat arrived. I placed it on the SP10 like a new crown for the king. I let my Valves warm up and played the first track.
    Ben Howard – Old Pine
    It was a jaw on the floor moment. Nuances, Transients, atmosphere and…….FOCUS
    I played more albums and everything was improved. EVERYTHING It was a bigger jump in Sound quality than when I swapped the ZYX for the Ortofon Vienna a few weeks ago. A tighter, rapier sharp focus, zero smudge and haze, Higher levels of Bass definition. It was glorious!!! Mids are so much cleaner and there’s plenty of timbre and resonance from the instruments. Divine! Its such a big improvement. Its very transparent and neutral.
    I have never been so surprised by the difference one piece of kit has made. IMO the Tenuto is an absolute must have if your TT can take its considerable weight. Its made everything better without any downside that I can conjure up whilst writing. Ive lost no bass extension, no sweetness, nothing its all just so much clearer and well defined. I feel like my system is now 4K resolution!
    Its solved any issues I had previously and I am now hearing the truth about the system I
    I have no idea how these changes are the product of 5mm of gunmetal being added to the SP10 but there is no doubt in my mind that this is the result of the platter mat.
    There are alternatives, I haven’t heard everything out there but I don’t care. This is the answer. If you feel your platter mat isn’t up to the task, I suggest you give Guy a call and let him fix it for you …. Permanently

I'm Adrian.

Good review and +1 for the Tenuto.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm Mike.

I've spoken to Guy, but he doesn't think he has any of the B grade that he would want to sell. He is hunting through the hat l last 30 or 40 to find me the best of what's left but he hasn't phoned back yet so I'm not holding out much hope.

He will be getting more in as he mentioned buying in new stock. So I might have to pay full price for a new one, but it sounds like it will be worth it anyway.

Bigman80 Guest

Ah Mikey, thats a shame. He did take a good few hours looking at his stock for me so you never know. I would suggest at full price, it is well worth it

I'm James.

Sometimes one item can be the missing link between ok and extraordinary. Sounds like you have found it Oli.

Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

Bigman80 Guest

It's definitely a very important part of the Jigsaw puzzle. The new valves in the Jolida should provide the last piece

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    The new valves in the Jolida should provide the last piece
    famous last words there methinks....

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by smangus View Post
    probably

I am going to start looking into isolation platforms/feet but in terms of sound, I'm incredibly happy.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Robert.

Question, whats Jimbo's standard VPI mat made of ?
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by smangus View Post
    Oliver will be totally done for the day he gets a listen to a pair of good big vintage Tannoys!

(I keep telling him this, it's going to niggle at him, 'cos he knows he needs to hear some )
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast