+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommendation for Vintage 3 Way Speaker??

I'm Paul.

Cheers, this idea is still swimming about in my head. Problem is that I love the look of some 80s speakers but the missus just looked at me with scorn in her eyes when I showed here a picture of a fine looking pair. I think if I bought a set home at the moment it would be like a scene from the Exorcist!
    ~Paul~

I'm Geoff.

Have you looked at the AR-5 and AR-2ax speakers?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Paul.

I saw some ARs on ebay, but not sure if they were these models. They did look like possible candidates...

The other problem is that I recently re-foamed some old AE 1s for a friend as he wanted to part ex them. I tested them out and they sounded just fantastic, really suited my room well. So now I wonder if I should get a pair of AE1s...

It just goes round and round...
    ~Paul~

I'm Geoff.

I don't actually like AE1's much. They are impressive on first aquaintance, but I find them a bit wearing after a while. The bass may be tight and punchy for their size, but it has no real depth and beefy amps are required to get the best from them.

I'll throw you a curveball. If you fancy high quality compact speakers that sound excellent and don't cost the earth, try and get a listen to some Monitor Audio R852md's.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Ken.

I don't think you should bother, especially if going active, just use modern drivers, which are very good performers, not out of spec. and easily replaceable should the worst happen.

I have been the classic rout, with Tannoy Cheviots, Cellestion 66 and Yamaha NS-1000M, I won't be going that rout again, as modern drivers are so good, both in performance and manufacturing quality.

If your going active, the originality of the build/sound is not what your aiming for, so why go there?

All the classics I have owned have been seriously flawed in their design. They initially sound interesting, but that wears off and measurements of what is actually coming out of them just spoils the party.

Its up to you, if its to scratch an itch and just enjoy the project then go for it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12