+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WTD: Ruark Templar Mk1 or similar, small, sealed floorstanders.

I'm Charlie.

Quote Originally Posted by grog View Post
    the musical tech speakers are really good, the kestrel's would be a great combo,
    if not maybe try some of the smaller Eclipse 'egg' shaped speakers, should be good at low levels
    Thanks for the recommendation, much appreciated. Hopefully, if 'Jollyfix' is still willing I might be able to give them a listen soon, slightly worried about the front port though as I hate the 'chuffing' which they can sometimes cause hence me mainly being interested in sealed box designs.

I'm Martin.

The Templars do have a slanted front baffle so if you sit low down the tweeter would be firing over your head. I don't think that would really be a problem but worth considering.

If you want presence at low volumes though you might be better going bigger rather than smaller.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Charlie.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    The Templars do have a slanted front baffle so if you sit low down the tweeter would be firing over your head. I don't think that would really be a problem but worth considering.

If you want presence at low volumes though you might be better going bigger rather than smaller.
    This is a very valid point, one that might actually make my head explode but I know exactly what you mean.
    These old Technics SB-6000s with their 12" driver do sound particularly lovely and the bass, although pretty earth moving never gets boomy, the tweeters are just way too physically high though so a lot of the detail goes AWOL.
    I was thinking that something like some old B&W DM2s might be ideal, still pretty enormous cabs but sealed and as the tweeters are mounted upside down they'd be at just the right level for my earholes, plus, they keep the vintage vibe going with my lovely old JVC amp.
    There was a fulsome review of the Templars on the Stereophile site where the reviewer discovered that the best imaging was to be found in a very low listening position, that's what turned me onto them in the first place.
    Sigh! Flippin hi-fi....it's a game innit?

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Karma Train View Post
    There was a fulsome review of the Templars on the Stereophile site where the reviewer discovered that the best imaging was to be found in a very low listening position, that's what turned me onto them in the first place.
    Sigh! Flippin hi-fi....it's a game innit?
    I know the Templars well and he may well be right. It is a game and one in which there is really no substitute for suck and see.

I'm guessing you've tried tilting the Technics forward a little bit? A pound cone under the two rear feet, just create a bit of an angle? Spendy, I know...
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I'm not sure why, but speakers that slope backwards or have sloped baffles tend to sound decent. Like the Ruarks and the old Spica TC50, also those made by Reference and a few others.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I'm not sure why, but speakers that slope backwards or have sloped baffles tend to sound decent. Like the Ruarks and the old Spica TC50, also those made by Reference and a few others.
    My JM Lab speakers slope backwards at the bottom and forwards at the top.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Mike.

If I don't manage to tame the bass on my current Talisman IIs, then I shall also be looking elsewhere. Before the Templars I had Epos es11, no problem with boominess with those as far as I remember, or it was a great deal less than the Talisman. I think I found them slightly bright though, but I would try another pair. TBH people search for speakers which have a reputation, so Epos es series are sought after, Ruark slightly less so. I'm sure there are a great many speakers out there which would suit your situation and mine, personally its just a shame I don't know which models to look for, there's so many goddam speaker manufacturers! I've also thought about monitors, but apparently my 45w Naim amp isn't upto the job.

I'm Charlie.

Just an update for anybody in the slightest bit interested.
    Last night I picked up a mint pair of Tannoy DC2000s for £100.
    This is purely a sideways step until I can locate some Ruark Templars which I'm determined to do even if I expire in the process!
    The Tannoys are just the right height for my listening position because the dual concentric speakers fire directly at my ear level plus they're a sealed box design which keeps the bass boom to a minimum.
    Sound-wise they're a bit on the woolly side but the graphic (don't swear) on my old JVC amp sorts that out quite nicely. The thing that impresses me the most about them though is the amazing soundstage they present, the panning of all the musical parts can be pinpointed almost exactly, to be honest, I've never experienced anything like this kind of accuracy before and I'm enjoying it greatly, it's almost like wearing a giant pair of headphones.
    I know none of the gear I use could really be described as hi-fi as it's cheap and cheerful but for me, a musician of over 40 years it's always been about finding equipment I can live with and I definitely think I can live with this setup for the time being.
    Thanks for all your magnificent help, it's been truly appreciated.

Bigman80 Guest

Great stuff! Whilst not the cream of the crop (in tannoy terms), they are very popular speakers non the less.

I'm glad you've shared your experience of them with us.

Just enjoy them for a while and get the ruarks when you're ready. Won't get that imaging with the ruarks though.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by Karma Train View Post
    Just an update for anybody in the slightest bit interested.
    Last night I picked up a mint pair of Tannoy DC2000s for £100.
    This is purely a sideways step until I can locate some Ruark Templars which I'm determined to do even if I expire in the process!
    The Tannoys are just the right height for my listening position because the dual concentric speakers fire directly at my ear level plus they're a sealed box design which keeps the bass boom to a minimum.
    Sound-wise they're a bit on the woolly side but the graphic (don't swear) on my old JVC amp sorts that out quite nicely. The thing that impresses me the most about them though is the amazing soundstage they present, the panning of all the musical parts can be pinpointed almost exactly, to be honest, I've never experienced anything like this kind of accuracy before and I'm enjoying it greatly, it's almost like wearing a giant pair of headphones.
    I know none of the gear I use could really be described as hi-fi as it's cheap and cheerful but for me, a musician of over 40 years it's always been about finding equipment I can live with and I definitely think I can live with this setup for the time being.
    Thanks for all your magnificent help, it's been truly appreciated.
    great choice , friend of mine has built the most massive organ in his room . probably over 20 foot wide and 10 foot high. he uses tannoy dc2000 for the speakers in it and a sub and wow , you should hear it . its unbelievably good .
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast