+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Warm sounding cartridge or phono pre-amp

I'm Robert.

Thanks for the replies.

The Tube DS looks tempting - the only issue is that it pushes into Croft Phono Preamp territory for, in the scheme of things, not much more.

Then there are offerings by Graham Slee which come highly recommended.........

What I thought was simple is turning into a minefield. A good one with all the choice mind.

I'm simon.

Rob1969
    curious to know what you decided on?
    DIGITAL:flac/pc/foobar/wasapi>Chord Qutest> Frans' (Solderdude) headphone correction filter>Violectric V200>Senn HD650, Beyer DT1990
    >or Garage 1217 Project Ember (as pre)>Rega Elex-R>Dynaudio M10.
    ANALOGUE: Rega P8>Rega Aria> Rega Elex-R>Dynaudio M10

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob1969 View Post
    I recently got a Project Classic with the Ortofon Silver Cartridge and whilst I love the looks the sound is a little on the thin side.

Can anyone recommend a cartridge to replace the Ortofon that has a richer more substantial presentation (to go with a Rega phono pre) or a replacement for the Rega that would go well with the Ortofon and give me the sound I am looking for.

Thanks.
    In my experience, everything largely depends on the LP you're listening to. I have LPs in my collection that sound wonderfully warm, cuddly, cozy, liquid and just delightful. But I also have LPs that sound thin, brittle, metallic, unpleasant to listen to. Some of the worst LPs can literally drive listeners out of the room!

I've never heard a cartridge/phono combo that was capable of sugar coating horrendously thin sounding LPs. So maybe it would help if you list the LPs that sound thin on your system? That way, maybe you'll learn that those LPs sound thin on much more higher end systems, and that might save you some money down the road
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by oldson View Post
    Rob1969
    curious to know what you decided on?

I use a project turntable and have an Audio Technica at33ptg on it.
    Sound great, definitely not thin
    Huge soundstage and bags of details but more important it sounds very musical

Your welcome to come over and listen
    Turntable; Rega p8
    Cartridge; Alpheta mc
    Phono Stage; Rega Aria, Bigbottle 3 mm/mc
    Amplifier; Rega Elicit
    Speakers; Rega Rx3

I'm Winston.

In case you again lean toward a 'warmer' sounding cart, perhaps you may want to consider a Grado Platinum or Sonata.
    Main system: Lenco L75, Thorens TD-125, Technics SL1700, ReVox A77 two-track 15 ips, Sony PS-1, Dell laptop, mxr, eq, Audio-Research LS-3, UREI 6150, DIY two-way speakers with Altec 802/811 & Goodmans 18” midwoofers.
    Author of; “HIGH-END AUDIO on a BUDGET”

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    In my experience, everything largely depends on the LP you're listening to. I have LPs in my collection that sound wonderfully warm, cuddly, cozy, liquid and just delightful. But I also have LPs that sound thin, brittle, metallic, unpleasant to listen to. Some of the worst LPs can literally drive listeners out of the room!

I've never heard a cartridge/phono combo that was capable of sugar coating horrendously thin sounding LPs. So maybe it would help if you list the LPs that sound thin on your system? That way, maybe you'll learn that those LPs sound thin on much more higher end systems, and that might save you some money down the road
    100% agree, i have many LP's in my collection that sound crap, most of the U2 and The Police albums sound very thin and tinny, a shame really

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123