+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: How hi (-fi) can you go?

I'm Gary.

Creme de la creme!
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Geoff.

I have a cow box. It's what I put the wife in when she's been naughty.

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    I have had the opportunity to compare this passive pre with a Hattor passive, using Khozmo attenuators with Takman resistors.

Now be prepared for a shock ......

There was NO difference in the sound, which makes this pre the bargain of the decade. Details :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volume-Re...72.m2749.l2649

Total cost delivered plus duties - £110 Cost of Hattor - £1000

So for the price of a Tisbury you can have a fully remote controlled 4 input first class passive, what is not to like?
    Got mine on Friday but as I was away for the weekend I didn't get a chance to listen to it yet. Just plugged it in and done some listening. It's clearly a quality piece of kit. Smoother sounding than I'm used to with my Django TVC (possibly a slight loss of some micro detail, but then the Django does have S&B transformers like the music first) and a little more bass than expected. It probably needs a bit of burn in though. I have to say, having a remote passive is very nice

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Got mine on Friday but as I was away for the weekend I didn't get a chance to listen to it yet. Just plugged it in and done some listening. It's clearly a quality piece of kit. Smoother sounding than I'm used to with my Django TVC (possibly a slight loss of some micro detail, but then the Django does have S&B transformers like the music first) and a little more bass than expected. It probably needs a bit of burn in though. I have to say, having a remote passive is very nice

Alan did some minor modifications to his which I thought were well worth it. Goes nicely with a buffer for an active option too.

For the money, this preamp is very difficult to beat.

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Alan did some minor modifications to his which I thought were well worth it. Goes nicely with a buffer for an active option too.

For the money, this preamp is very difficult to beat.

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk
    I've got a Yaqin CD3 buffer on the way, wasn't sure about the brand but it's the only buffer I've found with 6SN7 valves, my favourites without going way up to DHT level.

I'm Lawrence.

Set up the pre tonight with the Yaqin buffer (which came with EH 6SN7 gold pins fitted) before the power amp and I have to say the bundle is competitive with preamps I've heard costing many time the price. No grain or rough edges, clarity but without in your face detail, nice soundstage in both width and depth and most importantly no sign of any fatigue. Perhaps a little smooth for my personal preference, but it's the sort of sound I've found people pay a lot of money for, and I will admit it's quite addictive when you get used to it...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567