+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PRaT trumps all

I'm Stephen.

Default PRaT trumps all

Ok so I’ll preface this post with the admission that I’m well into a bottle of fine Rioja so make of it what you will - it’s intended to provoke discussion.
    I’m fortunate to have 3 HiFi systems- the main one is very expensive - the others are expensive.
    For a long time I’ve pondered that on many occasions an “ inferior “ system can sound “better” - sometimes listening in the car to a track sounds better than at home.
    Tonight I’ve been listening to sounds through an iPod/Wadia 170/Wadia DACamp/Ruark Epilogues that I’ve had for ages and the sound is simply stunning. While it doesn’t have the ultimate fine detail of my main system (costing many hundreds more) it nonetheless conveys all the emotion and “sonic keys” that make for an engaging experience. In many ways it’s actually more enjoyable. I think the reason is that it has better PRaT at the expense of ultimate clarity and detail.
    I throw this open for discussion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Always a little further

I'm Robert.

Well yes indeed, pace rhythm and timing IS rhythm = Musicality, Gong over and out
    Last edited by RobbieGong; 03-11-2017 at 23:05.
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Dennis.

I've never been able to even vaguely associate a concept to each of those adjectives for Hi-Fi.

I'm Geoff.

I dislike acronyms. They are created by people who think they are being smart. The military and police (especially US) like them a lot!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I dislike acronyms. They are created by people who think they are being smart. The military and police (especially US) like them a lot!
    ... And every government agency that ever had to fight for a grant from the above.
    But, going back to the OP it's a brave admission. I've no problem with PRaT as long as the resultant music doesn't sound like it's been created by a dentist on dexedrine

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazid View Post
    ... And every government agency that ever had to fight for a grant from the above.
    But, going back to the OP it's a brave admission. I've no problem with PRaT as long as the resultant music doesn't sound like it's been created by a dentist on dexedrine

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
    So folk need to be a little circumspect in their posts. I am both a dentist (and doctor) and a former captain in the Royal Army Medical Corps and am offended by both of these posts !!!

Always a little further

I'm Geoff.

It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Oh really! The military think they are being smart!
    My post was about musical appreciation and the perceived differences between low and high cost systems with the former IMO sometimes sounding better but you seem to think it’s ok to hijack the thread and demean the military for some reason- have you served yourself ?

Always a little further

I'm gone.

It seems the new political correctness to demean the military and the police.
    But there are some seriously bad folks out there (just look at the news) and despite their faults and shortcomings, it is the military and police who help protect us from them.

However .... back to the OP ....

PRaT.

A Flat Earth term, a philosophy I never succumbed to.
    Back in the old days it meant severe tonal manipulation to highlight particular aspects of the sound. Naughty stuff.

But nonetheless, it attempts to cover an aspect of music reproduction that is close to my heart.
    A system without which, I agree, is not worth listening to.
    I tend to call it pizzaz.
    For me, it's the small dynamic inflections of a real, live musical performance that are all too often smoothed over and lost by a poor audio component or system.

So, yes, PRaT / pizzaz rules.

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    It seems the new political correctness to demean the military and the police.
    But there are some seriously bad folks out there (just look at the news) and despite their faults and shortcomings, it is the military and police who help protect us from them.

Exactly +1

However .... back to the OP ....

PRaT.

A Flat Earth term, a philosophy I never succumbed to.
    Back in the old days it meant severe tonal manipulation to highlight particular aspects of the sound. Naughty stuff.

But nonetheless, it attempts to cover an aspect of music reproduction that is close to my heart.
    A system without which, I agree, is not worth listening to.
    I tend to call it pizzaz.
    For me, it's the small dynamic inflections of a real, live musical performance that are all too often smoothed over and lost by a poor audio component or system.

So, yes, PRaT / pizzaz rules.
    It is an acronym for Pace Rhythm and Timing. It is as you say a “back in the day” term that if memory serves was very much part of the Linn/Naim philosophy. I think your “pizazz” captures it very well. It’s what gets your foot tapping or not.

Always a little further

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast