+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: PRaT trumps all

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Hmm. Years ago I built a pair of speakers with two five inch full range drivers that would out'big' anything you have Martin.

)
    Maybe at the moment. But soon I will show everyone. Get revenge on world
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    If I had a quid for every time someone says 'This small speaker doesn't sound small' I'd be able to afford some big JBLs.

There's no substitute for a big driver in a big cab. It's the 'presence' thing. Nothing else does it, doesn't matter how many small drivers you string together, it isn't the same.
    I hear you, However in a large space / room that might be more of a factor, in your average small to medium room much less so.

Also big driver, big cab arrangements can overwhelm smaller rooms both sonically and aesthetically.

Balance also plays its part in hifi / systems and the way they present the music.

I used to be around sound systems a lot when I was much younger and know what you mean regards large drivers and cabs though.

The experience of a sound system clash, in a massive community hall, adorned with cabs containing 4 x 18 inch drivers, plus 15 inches drivers and 12 inch mids etc is unbelievable in terms of scale and bass depth.

The bass literally turns and stirs your guts inside out....
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    I hear you, However in a large space / room that might be more of a factor, in your average small to medium room much less so.

Also big driver, big cab arrangements can overwhelm smaller rooms both sonically and aesthetically.

Balance also plays its part in hifi / systems and the way they present the music.
    Aesthetically no argument. But I've heard enough big Tannoys in small rooms to know that there does not need to be a problem with a large speaker or driver in a small room.
    I have some vintage Akais with a 15 inch driver, they work fine in a small room. I've heard much smaller 'WAF tower' speakers booming in decent sized rooms too. It isn't a hard and fast rule and I always wince when I see people flogging their big Tannoys because they are moving to a smaller place and they automatically think that they will be 'too big for the room.'
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Aesthetically no argument. But I've heard enough big Tannoys in small rooms to know that there does not need to be a problem with a large speaker or driver in a small room.
    I have some vintage Akais with a 15 inch driver, they work fine in a small room. I've heard much smaller 'WAF tower' speakers booming in decent sized rooms too. It isn't a hard and fast rule and I always wince when I see people flogging their big Tannoys because they are moving to a smaller place and they automatically think that they will be 'too big for the room.'
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Steve.

If they won't fit through the door they're probably too big for the room.

I wonder if anyone has tried building speakers to double as wardrobes?

I'm Dennis.

From Martin;
    "There's no substitute for a big driver in a big cab. It's the 'presence' thing. Nothing else does it, doesn't matter how many small drivers you string together, it isn't the same."

I also think that a big one does something that cannot be equalled by small ones, and have recently come to the conclusion that it may be because a small one pushes through the air, which can be pushed aside more, but with a large one it is captive, and I can't help thinking this will provide better transients due to pressure loading.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    I also think that a big one does something that cannot be equalled by small ones, and have recently come to the conclusion that it may be because a small one pushes through the air, which can be pushed aside more, but with a large one it is captive, and I can't help thinking this will provide better transients due to pressure loading.
    I've wondered about that. Multiples of small drivers seem to reproduce bass drum as a 'boomp', whereas a big single driver gives more of a 'whack'. Possibly something to do with the wavefront shape?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Quote Originally Posted by worrasf View Post
    Ok so I’ll preface this post with the admission that I’m well into a bottle of fine Rioja so make of it what you will - it’s intended to provoke discussion.
    I’m fortunate to have 3 HiFi systems- the main one is very expensive - the others are expensive.
    For a long time I’ve pondered that on many occasions an “ inferior “ system can sound “better” - sometimes listening in the car to a track sounds better than at home.
    Tonight I’ve been listening to sounds through an iPod/Wadia 170/Wadia DACamp/Ruark Epilogues that I’ve had for ages and the sound is simply stunning. While it doesn’t have the ultimate fine detail of my main system (costing many hundreds more) it nonetheless conveys all the emotion and “sonic keys” that make for an engaging experience. In many ways it’s actually more enjoyable. I think the reason is that it has better PRaT at the expense of ultimate clarity and detail.
    I throw this open for discussion
    Stephen I have only just got 'into' Naim gear after about 20 years of trying to 'get' the Naim sound and not 'getting' it at all for all those years

However I now realise that maybe PRaT has it's place in the hifi world. The Naim gear I now have does indeed have this in bucket loads and it's definitely to the detriment of clarity and detail. However now that I 'get' the Naim PraT thing to be honest it has been a complete eye opener to me and I love it

I just wonder why I didn't 'get it' until now
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by worrasf View Post
    So folk need to be a little circumspect in their posts. I am both a dentist (and doctor) and a former captain in the Royal Army Medical Corps and am offended by both of these posts !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    How very hypocritical I'm a PRaT and I am equally offended by your post, as I have both clarity and detail. Jeez !
    Less bling, more integrity ©Spenagio

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Quote Originally Posted by Idlewithnodrive View Post
    How very hypocritical I'm a PRaT and I am equally offended by your post, as I have both clarity and detail. Jeez !
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast