+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Single ended to balanced conversion....

I'm Adrian.

Default Single ended to balanced conversion....

So I've just put a payment down on this lovely amplifier (no more looking for Leben) but I have slight problem - the amp only has balanced inputs and my the Truth is single ended - so can I have a pair of interconnects made up that are single ended to balanced? Are there any high quality converter plugs?

Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm Grant.

ooohhh, very nice Adrian.. that is a bosker
    Regards,
    Grant ....

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    DENON DV2900 - TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK AMPLIFIERS - XIANG SHENG DAC\PRE\HEADPHONE AMP - AVANTREE OASIS CLASS 1 BLUETOOTH - AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 & OPPO PM-3 PLANAR HEADPHONES - WIN10 JRIVER23, SPOTIFY PREMIUM - ECHO DOT - SMSL M6 MINIDAC - FULL RANGE TWIN TELEFUNKEN's - Q ACOUSTIC BT3 actives - CANTON SUB - MAINS REGENERATED AND FILTERED.

I'm Adrian.

Thanks - it's the Ref 75 - after a lot of reading and chat wth Tom it won me over.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    The Truth linestage
    Cary 805c SET amps

I'm openingabottleofwine.

The quick answer is yes - XLR to RCA adaptors are readily available. All they do is connect the -ve going input to ground. (I use a pair on my Quad 520 amp.)
    Have you listened to this month's choice in the Album Club?

Barry

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    The quick answer is yes - XLR to RCA adaptors are readily available. All they do is connect the -ve going input to ground. (I use a pair on my Quad 520 amp.)
    World you recommend a custom build? Or is the quality okay?
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    The Truth linestage
    Cary 805c SET amps

I'm openingabottleofwine.

The quick answer is yes - XLR to RCA adapters are readily available. What they do is connect the -ve going input to ground. (I use a pair with a Quad 520 amp in one of my systems.)

If you are looking for high quality adapters, then I would recommend those made by Neutrik: https://www.amazon.co.uk/NEUTRIK-SIL...lr+rca+adapter
    Have you listened to this month's choice in the Album Club?

Barry

I'm Neil.

Go with a Cardas Rca/XLR adaptor there is a difference in sound quality between that and cheap Chinese crap, and I think they have the edge on Neutrik. Cardas do two levels of quality I would go the extra and get the better of the two.

http://www.cardas.com/adaptors.php
    Regards Neil

System 1: AMG Giro turntable, AMG 9W2 tonearm, Air Tight PC3 cartridge, Passlabs Xono phonostage, AMG Reference armcable. Accuphase DP57 CD player, Marantz SA7 SACD player, Sony HAP Z1es Digital File Player + Audioquest Jitter Bug, Veracity Mystra DAC + Dell Laptop + iFi i power + JKenny JKSPIDIF, Wireworld Starlight USB + Audioquest Jitter Bug, for computer audio, Audio Valve RKV2 headphone amp, headphones Grado GS 1000, Balanced Audio Technology VK300se integrated amplifier, Anthony Gallo Reference 3.1 speakers. Cabling: Signal - Audience AU24, Analysis Plus, Atlas Mavros, Speaker - QED Genesis Silver Spiral. Mains Cabling: Audience AU24, Analysis Plus, TCI. Mark Grant distribution blocks, Equipment tables Target Audio B series.

System 2: Loricraft Garrard 401 turntable + SME 5 tonearm + VDH MC10 cartridge + Graham IC70 tonearm cable, Modified Technics 1200 turntable + Triplannar 7 tonearm + VDH Frog Gold cartridge + Paul Hynes SR7 PSU, SME Model 20 turntable + Graham Phantom tonearm + Ortofon MC5200 cartridge + Graham IC70 tonearm cable, Balanced Audio Technology VK10se phonostage, Moon Andromeda CD player, Esoteric P5 SACD transport and P 5 DAC, Toshiba 9500 DVD Audio player, AMR DP777 DAC + HP laptop + iFi i power + Wireworld Starlight USB - for computer audio, Kenwood 8300 tuner, Revox B760 tuner, Magnum Dynalab signal sleuth, Leak Troughline tuner + EAR Stereo decoder, Revox B77 mk 2 & Revox A77 mk3 reel to reel recorders, Balanced Audio Technology VK52se pre-amplifier, Music Reference RM200 mk1 power-amplifier, Anthony Gallo Reference 3.5 speakers. Cabling: Signal/Speaker - Atlas Mavros. Mains Cabling: Audience AU24, TCI. Mains distribution blocks Mark Grant and Russ Andrews, Equipment tables Clear Light Audio.

I'm Adrian.

Thanks guys - Cardas looks like a good choice.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    The Truth linestage
    Cary 805c SET amps

I'm Andrew.

This is a far more complicated subject than it may appear. Your Truth has a single-ended output so you can really only feed the Audio Research with an unbalanced signal. The simple solution is to use one of those adaptors which was linked-to above, but all it does is feed the unbalanced signal to pins 1 and 2 of the XLR and link pin 3 (the unused pin) to pin 1. At least, I assume pin 3 is linked to pin 1 - they rarely bother to tell you in the adverts.
    However, there's another option: instead of linking pin 3 to pin 1 you could use balanced cable and link pin 3 to the the ground side of the RCA plug at the RCA end. The idea is that you still get some of the benefits of a balanced line. Wire it like the top picture in this image

Will there be much difference in practice? Somehow I doubt it, but bear in mind that I'm one of those cloth-eared fools who thinks mains cables don't make any difference.

I'm Andrew.

BTW, I just found this from Genelec:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast