+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wanted - Mullard or Telefunken ECC83

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    Oliver, am interested in your experiences of the change you detect once you get your Telefunkens. I guess it is for your Jolida?

In my Radford I have ECF82s (Mullards) and so far I have not tried anything different.
    I'll happily harp on about it if it's good hahaha

To be honest, what's prompted the change is Alan borrowed me a box of random ECC83 valves and it had a Mullard in. I paired it up with the most similar one I could find. The detail that came through was abundant and there was a silk to the delivery I hadn't heard before. I am happy to spend a decent chunk of money for two gas filled bottles based on what I heard today.

I also just managed to find two Telefunken manufactured valves A fisher and one with no markings. The both have the moulded squares in the base. I'm not sure he knows himself lol

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    All the valves in my Radford STA15 are Blackburn Road Mullards.
    Nice.

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    All the valves in my Radford STA15 are Blackburn Road Mullards.
    Oh! I did not know you had a Radford Barry. What's the history/provenance?

I just had a peek at your profile. Sheesh you have a lot of stuff.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

Bigman80 Guest

Right! Back to looking. No measurements available with the offered valves.

I'm preferring Telefunkens to the Mullards, they aren't as warm sounding so

Anyone got some Telefunkens with measurements available​?

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    Oh! I did not know you had a Radford Barry. What's the history/provenance?

I just had a peek at your profile. Sheesh you have a lot of stuff.
    In my limited experience there is nothing sonically quite like the M8137 box plate Mullards which are mostly from the Mitcham factory. It's always a combination of valve characteristics and circuit topology, so YMMV, but if you get a chance then these relatively uncommon valves are worth seeking out.
    Good for you ignoring aesthetics, most Telefunken valves start to lose their print before mid-life, it's almost a sign of authenticity!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazid View Post
    In my limited experience there is nothing sonically quite like the M8137 box plate Mullards which are mostly from the Mitcham factory. It's always a combination of valve characteristics and circuit topology, so YMMV, but if you get a chance then these relatively uncommon valves are worth seeking out.
    Good for you ignoring aesthetics, most Telefunken valves start to lose their print before mid-life, it's almost a sign of authenticity!

In my further experience of measuring valves Telefunken flat plates don't seem to measure strongly but are much admired, the ribbed plates seem to have steeper curves and 'better' static measurements and are somewhat less revered. Whatever the case, better valves will always have similar (and strong) performance from both halves of the double triode, ideally you need to know under what conditions they were measured. Personally I wouldn't sniff at a pair of good Mullards, Philips, Tungsram, Valvo, Tesla, Telefunken, or Matsushita valves. They are all solid and worth a try.

Bigman80 Guest

Hi James,

Yes the seller did state the print was worn off but as you say, it almost guarantee they are genuine lol.

I'm just a bit unsure about not knowing the condition or numbers before I've paid. I'm reading there is quite a necessity to get them as near as possible due to him and harmonic distortion?

Bigman80 Guest

In my further experience of measuring valves Telefunken flat plates don't seem to measure strongly but are much admired, the ribbed plates seem to have steeper curves and 'better' static measurements and are somewhat less revered. Whatever the case, better valves will always have similar (and strong) performance from both halves of the double triode, ideally you need to know under what conditions they were measured. Personally I wouldn't sniff at a pair of good Mullards, Philips, Tungsram, Valvo, Tesla, Telefunken, or Matsushita valves. They are all solid and worth a try.

Would you take the gamble on unmeasured genuine Telefunken? I don't know if they are long or short plate either. Just that they are smooth!

I'm Phil.

10 years ago there was a lot of people selling old valves that they had removed from old radios etc , not tested , and there were bargains to be had ,
    ecc83 has a long life , not like power valves , but now most people are selling on ebay with measerments so less bargains , I do think its worth taking a chance on a ecc83 due to the long life , rca and old tungsol being my favourite , lots of fakes on ebay , but not with horse shoe getters or square , so
    if the valve has anything but round its likely to be genuine , there are still bargains to be had , matched triodes are hard to come by , ask langrex ,
    you would have to test 50 to get 5 matched , and to my ears there is no sound difference even when they are fairly unmatched , others I'm sure will
    not agree with this but that my opinion . phil.
    Phil.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by oceanobsession View Post
    10 years ago there was a lot of people selling old valves that they had removed from old radios etc , not tested , and there were bargains to be had ,
    ecc83 has a long life , not like power valves , but now most people are selling on ebay with measerments so less bargains , I do think its worth taking a chance on a ecc83 due to the long life , rca and old tungsol being my favourite , lots of fakes on ebay , but not with horse shoe getters or square , so
    if the valve has anything but round its likely to be genuine , there are still bargains to be had , matched triodes are hard to come by , ask langrex ,
    you would have to test 50 to get 5 matched , and to my ears there is no sound difference even when they are fairly unmatched , others I'm sure will
    not agree with this but that my opinion . phil.
    Ok Phil,

Thanks for your input. I am waiting to see if they are long plate. If they are I might just go for it.

Still looking though lol.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast