+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Burning CD. Logic says...

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronksley View Post
    Some secondhand prices on line are just why too high dont know if people buy at high pirces I hope not

More and more I have been tending towards burning downloads to listen on CDr if I really want to sit down and have a proper listen, this is mainly because my PC is a noisey thing
    Thinking I might burn a few for listening over the weekend
    I won't get involved with using a computer to listen to music, just too much faff. I just don't get the prices asked for some cds. For a vinyl record I can understand asking a premium, but a CD can be copied perfectly with no hassle and very little expense. Okay so doing it is illegal, but since when has that stopped anyone? Especially when the financial saving made is significant. And if the disc is out of print anyway your are not taking food from the artist's mouth, or the record company's, as a legitimate purchase is not an option.

Interestingly the cd I wanted is also available as a box set of 5 discs, one is a cd of the album, one a remix of said album, one a remix but in 24/92 'resolution' and one is a DVD (with remixed 5.1 sound).

Why anyone would want to pay extra for all that crap I have no idea. We were better off years ago when you just went down the high street, handed over a bluey and took the record home with you.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

You have me intrigued Martin - which album is it that you're looking for?
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Not sure where logic comes into this. Logically, surely you'd expect the burned cd to sound identical to the 'official' cd. Why wouldn't it?

It is very easy to copy music with digital, and get perfect copies every time.
    Exactly Martin.

I think folk may be getting confused by comparing apples and oranges and relying too much on software or mis-interpreting results from an online database CRC.

I can see where the confusion may lie, but its actually very logical and a burned CD will sound the same as the doner CD, assuming your player has no problem with the format.

And a lossless file, depending on certain parameters, can often sound better than the original CD it was ripped from. But this, like anything, is very equipment dependant and a potential bun fight all of its own

Sent from my XT1580 using Tapatalk
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Martin.

Jethro Tull, 'Songs From The Wood'.

Fortunately a member here is very generously sending me his spare copy.
    Current Lash Up:

£6.00 in HMV, also in a 2 for £10.00 offer.
    Chris

I'm Martin.

So why is it £40 on Amazon?
    Current Lash Up:

They obviously don't want the business
    Chris

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Not sure where logic comes into this. Logically, surely you'd expect the burned cd to sound identical to the 'official' cd. Why wouldn't it?
    This is exactly my point. OK, my mind says that this is the logic:

Regardless how the discs are made, what the cd player reads is 1s and 0s on a disk. These are, as far as I know, tiny dots etched into the aluminium foil on the CD. It starts at the middle and works outwards. A CD player has to accurately read these - this means the speed of a CD player must change accurately as it reads from the first track to the last. It is something like 500 revs to 300. The adjustments as it turns must be accurate. This is the selling point of the cxc (to a degree). So, I have this mega accurate CD player reading my discs. However...I have burned them on a crappy CD burner, which I'd wager has not got the same technology. It has a sh**ty 10 pence electric motor/chip doing these adjustments. The cxc's Chip and motor probably costs about £30, maybe more.

So, logic says that a 10 pence mechanism has recorded my disc. It is read by a £30 system which is built specially to do just that. Yet, my discs sound as good as the factory-made discs, which I'd also wager cost more than 10 pence.

Maybe I have duff ears, but it doesn't make sense to me. I'm not complaining, cos it works well, but my question is: why? Surely there should be some company in the world which is selling burning gear to audiophiles which is top-notch and burns the discs at accurate speeds. But is no such company as far as I know.

If I change to another CD player on the other hand - the perfectly reasonable Marantz CD 6005 as a transport for example - I *can* hear a difference between that and the cxc. With a disc from my cd burner.

I just don't get it. My CD burner should be be not be suitable for the job, but it is somehow.

Oh well.

I'm Bob.

If you copied the bible on a type writer how many spelling mistakes do you think you would make?

But if all you had to do is download it, what are the chances of any single letter being wrong.

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    This is exactly my point. OK, my mind says that this is the logic:
    I think you're over thinking it Chris
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast