+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Any one used an Xbox One as a CD player

I'm Bob.

Default Any one used an Xbox One as a CD player

I have been in an odd place regards Hi-Fi and music listening in the last few years, all my CD's, Tannoy Cheviots and Quad 33/405 combo were a long way away so I have been really using PC based services to play music, the few CD's I have bought have been ripped and put in OneDrive and played along with my Groove music pass music.

I had purchased a Pioneer receiver and a pair of Eltax 205's to keep me going but the source was effectively MP3's or whatever format Groove uses.

So a few weeks ago I cleared my house as I had sold it and became re-united with my CD collection, the Tannoy's and the Quad. My Philips CD101 isn't well so I popped out and bought a TEAC CDP1250 for £20 to listen to my CD's, wow what a difference.

So I planned to re-rip all my CD's using FLAC and use Groove. But not OneDrive as it doesn't support .flac unless it's local music and then play CD's on a "New" CD player when I find what I want.

I want to carry on using Groove as my wife has an Xbox, Surface pro and Windows phone like my setups and she can understand Groove.

But it all falls down on Groove on the Xbox One, it doesn't see local music so no FLACS.

Anyway enough of that, so this morning I put a CD in the Xbox One, and unless I had cotton wool in my ears when I tested the TEAC or unless I have become stupid, the combo of Xbox One as a CD player, using the Pioneer as the amp and the Tannoy's is superb (Even better when the Quad goes in to replace the Pioneer).

OK you still have to insert the CD manually, but then sit down on your fav chair with your cup of tea and say "Xbox, play CD".

Still in the market for a good CD player that will look good with the Quads, but heck the sound with the Xbox One is not bad after listening to Pentangle, Bowie and Gabriel I am impressed.

I'm Martin.

No but it would be interesting to compare an xbox.

I dont think the xbox one even rips cds like the 360 did but I always felt the consoles should market as being just as good at blu ray or cd

Really the opportunity is there to market a home entertainment box like Sony started to try with the PSX. However it seemed too pricey for consumers and every review I have read about the latest Microsoft and Sony consoles which say they dont do Blu Ray or Cd as well as a dedicated unit.

I take some reviews with a pinch of salt but consoles are built to sell at an attractive price point so I cant imagine they do everything as well as possible

They all recommend buying a seperate budget player and I would like to see a games console that I also would be proud to use as a main blu ray or cd player

The xbox one seemed to take backward steps in terms of being user friendly for cd use. I think they just wanted to market the Microsoft music streaming and downloads

I'm Mico.

Yes, I am.

With a jitterbug in an USB port, Xbox One can send good quality signal to my JVC su ax7/su ax01 DAC. Distorted signal can't achieve K2HD decode.
    Last edited by MICMIC_2ND; 20-08-2020 at 04:18. Reason: Specify DAC model

I'm Adrian.

Yes I used an Xbox as a CD player some years ago when my Meridian 508 had to go off for a service. I went straight to the CD input on the amp, it was actually very good from a SQ point of view.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Rob.

Something I ought try as I have 2 of my son's cast offs here. He worked on X-Box games for MS until last year and got tons of free stuff. One is a 360 and the other a One. The 360 only appears to have an optical out. Numpty time now...... I assume you cannot get an analogue signal out of either

I have used a Sony PS1 (analogue) and a 2 as a CD transport. The 2 is pretty good.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Mico.

Hi Rob, the analogue out of xbox is at joystick. But i doubt on its sound quality.

Apart from xbox one I am using as CD player, I have a 360. Will give it a try.

I'm Chris.

PS1 modded.!Bs,KHtgEWk~$(KGrHqMOKikEvOnbKY1gBL3vRi4viw~~_35.JPG (Currently missing a channel)
    Chris.

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by hornucopia View Post
    PS1 modded.!Bs,KHtgEWk~$(KGrHqMOKikEvOnbKY1gBL3vRi4viw~~_35.JPG (Currently missing a channel)
    Did you mod this yourself? I have done a few of these. As there is very little to go wrong it may be something simple. The only PITA is you have to dismantle the whole thing to do anything with them.

Unfortunately the lasers on these are temperamental and/or plain stobborn for that reason the ones I modded have been gathering dust for years. CD-Rs were a no-no.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

+ Reply to Thread