+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need New Loudspeakers

I'm Andrew.

Default Need New Loudspeakers

Hi, I'm looking for new loudspeakers. My room is around 10' x 15' with high Victorian terrace ceiling.

I use raspberry pi with IQ Audio DAC Pro for streaming over the LAN using FLAC files mainly.
    I have quite a few amps:
    JVC A-X77
    Trio KA-907
    Denon PMA-757
    Quad 77 pre/power

I have been using B&W DM7MK2 / KEF Calinda / B&W DM4
    I want to get rid of all the vintage speakers and get something much better.
    My budget is around 2000 GBP, I think second hand is the way to go....

I've been thinking about ATC SCM40 and PMC Twenty 22 although the PMC Twenty 24 looks better but I'm little concerned my room is not big enough for them. We listen to pop/rock/jazz/classical/folk....
    I would be interested to hear members opinions. I want accurate, clear sound with good bass. I'm starting to think that stand mount would be best for my room size...

thx

I'm Grant.

a pair of pmc 21's and stands for sale here. http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...lus-PMC-Stands

Mike has just moved to Tannoys.. nice speakers
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Redox View Post
    Hi, I'm looking for new loudspeakers. My room is around 10' x 15' with high Victorian terrace ceiling.

I use raspberry pi with IQ Audio DAC Pro for streaming over the LAN using FLAC files mainly.
    I have quite a few amps:
    JVC A-X77
    Trio KA-907
    Denon PMA-757
    Quad 77 pre/power

I have been using B&W DM7MK2 / KEF Calinda / B&W DM4
    I want to get rid of all the vintage speakers and get something much better.
    My budget is around 2000 GBP, I think second hand is the way to go....

I've been thinking about ATC SCM40 and PMC Twenty 22 although the PMC Twenty 24 looks better but I'm little concerned my room is not big enough for them. We listen to pop/rock/jazz/classical/folk....
    I would be interested to hear members opinions. I want accurate, clear sound with good bass. I'm starting to think that stand mount would be best for my room size...

thx
    Strongly recommended if you decide to go for new: https://www.divineaudio.co.uk/omega-...-speakers-pair

I'm Phil.

focal 1028be is a superb speaker , very natural and would be just fine in your room i am sure . well worth seeking out , midland audio has just adverised a pair at 2199 . well worth a look

https://youtu.be/2dAXJDKxXRA

i would have them back anyday
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Geoff.

Is there an amplifier that you use most? It is important that you experience your main amplifier driving speakers in your own, or a similar space. A bake-off would be ideal.

I would urge you to try several speakers in your room. I have a similar, though larger, space in Liverpool. You would be welcome to have a listen here but I have gone down the vintage speaker route, having listened and owned many modern designs.
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.
    System 2 - SBT; Technics SH-X1000 DAC; Denon PMA-850

I'm Shaun.

Well, you have experience of B&W loudspeakers so I have to outline our current pair of CM8 S2's which I understand are no longer made. Extremely well made and really weighty, a midrange to die for it is so neutral and a really nicely etched treble performance. The bass is really good but for my electronic music I find the very bottom octave missing. For jazz these loudspeakers are stunning and on jazz influenced material like Quantic, they are highly satisfactory. We play digital and vinyl and these B&W's are as far as we want to go for less than £2k.

I'm Andrew.

Thanks for the replies. I demoed some speakers today in hifi shop.

PMC 25/22
    PMC 25/24
    Dynaudio Special 40

I thought the Special 40 was the best, maybe I'm too used to the reflex port bass sound....

Starting to think that modern loudspeakers are all slim & tall so that retailers can fit them into their retail spaces.....
    Not an 8" inch driver in sight.....

I'm Phil.

i like tall and slim as they fit in my room well , probably the same in many houses

glad you liked the dynaudio but are they not above the 2k budget?

Eric Bibb

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Well, you have experience of B&W loudspeakers so I have to outline our current pair of CM8 S2's which I understand are no longer made. Extremely well made and really weighty, a midrange to die for it is so neutral and a really nicely etched treble performance. The bass is really good but for my electronic music I find the very bottom octave missing. For jazz these loudspeakers are stunning and on jazz influenced material like Quantic, they are highly satisfactory. We play digital and vinyl and these B&W's are as far as we want to go for less than £2k.
    yes , shame they stopped making them but some great bargains to be had . I quite like the replacement 700 series and the op would do well to demo some . they are widely available

Eric Bibb

I'm Andrew.

My budget is flexible....

What is the 700 series?