+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: This crazy world of witch hunts...

montesquieu Guest

When I hear wolf whistles and the like, or some bunch of oiks flashing lights and shouting things out of van windows at women or girls walking along the street minding their own business, I just cringe. It's an embarrassment to be male, I feel for the poor woman who could be my daughter, wife, or whatever, and think how awful it must be to have to put up with that shit.

Getting admiration from someone you are close to, or who you fancy is one thing, but having to deal with that sort of brutish ignorance from the dregs of society is something different entirely.

I'm not saying it should be criminalised though - it's just bloody bad manners.

I'm Adrian.

Good no!

I often tell my female students they look fantastic, they know I'm gay so I don't see how they could take offence. I also say it to guys on the rare occasion they've made the effort! It depends on how it's said. I'm an extremely popular teacher so I don't think I've offended anyone - but I don't see how complimenting someone can be bad - unless whispered in a pervy way or something.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Quote Originally Posted by farflungstar View Post
    Good no!

I often tell my female students they look fantastic, they know I'm gay so I don't see how they could take offence. I also say it to guys on the rare occasion they've made the effort! It depends on how it's said. I'm an extremely popular teacher so I don't think I've offended anyone - but I don't see how complimenting someone can be bad - unless whispered in a pervy way or something.
    Now that's a completely different thing entirely, of course no one would take offence to that
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    When I hear wolf whistles and the like, or some bunch of oiks flashing lights and shouting things out of van windows at women or girls walking along the street minding their own business, I just cringe. It's an embarrassment to be male, I feel for the poor woman who could be my daughter, wife, or whatever, and think how awful it must be to have to put up with that shit.

Getting admiration from someone you are close to, or who you fancy is one thing, but having to deal with that sort of brutish ignorance from the dregs of society is something different entirely.

I'm not saying it should be criminalised though - it's just bloody bad manners.
    I agree Tom. But a builders wolf whistle as a pretty girl walks by isn't such a crime - but again that's in my eyes and everyone is different. A load of louts behaving like w*nkers isn't acceptable.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    The Truth linestage
    Cary 805c SET amps

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

I agree Tom. But a builders wolf whistle as a pretty girl walks by isn't such a crime - but again that's in my eyes and everyone is different. A load of louts behaving like w*nkers isn't acceptable.
    Absolutely not a crime but I can assure you it's not the most pleasant thing I've ever experienced either...
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    Now that's a completely different thing entirely, of course no one would take offence to that
    I think the same. BUT imagine I do that in an English classroom with a radical feminist student. She complains. I'm hauled offer the coals and for her sake my other students lose out.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    The Truth linestage
    Cary 805c SET amps

montesquieu Guest

You have to think of it from a woman's point of view. Physically they are vulnerable, fragile, compared especially to the build on manual workers. They have no choice in the matter. Putting myself in their place I'd certainly feel threatened and uneasy, which is no way to make anyone feel. It would piss me off for sure.

Women have to put up with all sorts. One of my wife's (academic) male colleagues was incredibly rude to her recently. She handled it well, but it occurred to me that I bet he wouldn't talk to one of his male colleagues like that - too much of a risk it would end up in the car park. Which is where he would have ended up if he'd spoken to me like that.

I'm Adrian.

Yes it's obvious I have no agenda - but it will be a sad world when a man cannot compliment a pretty girl. It's a difficult dilemma - but either extreme is wrong.

Personally I think men (some) treat women atrociously and need stringing up. But equally I think women need to be honest about themselves.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    The Truth linestage
    Cary 805c SET amps

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    You have to think of it from a woman's point of view. Physically they are vulnerable, fragile, compared especially to the build on manual workers. They have no choice in the matter. Putting myself in their place I'd certainly feel threatened and uneasy, which is no way to make anyone feel. It would piss me off for sure.

Women have to put up with all sorts. One of my wife's (academic) male colleagues was incredibly rude to her recently. She handled it well, but it occurred to me that I bet he wouldn't talk to one of his male colleagues like that - too much of a risk it would end up in the car park.
    I agree with you Tom, but some girls don't like it and some do. Maybe for that reason it should be discouraged, but not criminalised with a record on the sex offenders register. No one should feel uncomfortable walking down the street - but there has to be sensible limits.

For example, I don't think anyone should be charged for calling me names - even though that is homophobic and illegal, which I don't agree with. It's only a name.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    The Truth linestage
    Cary 805c SET amps

I'm Adam.

Yes it's obvious I have no agenda - but it will be a sad world when a man cannot compliment a pretty girl. It's a difficult dilemma - but either extreme is wrong.

Personally I think men (some) treat women atrociously and need stringing up. But equally I think women need to be honest about themselves.
    Complimenting women can be done with manners and respect..
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast