+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: This crazy world of witch hunts...

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post
    Complimenting women can be done with manners and respect..
    +1
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post
    Complimenting women can be done with manners and respect..
    Again I agree. That's the problem, trying to untangle the complexities of communication or a blanket ban. The latter is easier but is a sad option.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm Grant.

I remember a guy on a site doing this with a woman walking his way.. turned out when she got close she was about 70 Guess who was embarrased most.
    He never did it again.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Adrian.

I guess maybe this isn't my area of expertise, but I have a couple of friends like Bev who feel uncomfortable when someone whistles at them, and a few who spend half an hour psychoanalysing why no one whistled at them. Difficult to apply rules to suit everyone.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    The Truth linestage
    Cary 805c SET amps

I'm Martin.

I am just open mouthed that Weinstein and others think they can get away with that sort behaviour. Not only do they assume they are untouchable but they get away with it for long periods of time which beggars belief.

Sexual assault is criminal behaviour and a criminal offence. Serious bullying and manipulation comes under the law of criminal harrassment.

I know there are reasons but I do have a hard time understanding why the matter was not reported immediately.

I have been well brought up with standards of common decency. Its not even that...I know the boundaries stop well before touching people or making lewd suggestions especially from a position of power.

It seems endemic in society and the Weinstein case heightens the awareness. Maybe some good comes out of these major stories in that we can start to clamp down on this sort of abuse.

All these names start to come up of actors and abuse happening say 20 years ago. I dont understand why it was not reported at the time to let the courts decide.

Is there a grey area with this? I just see mental illness and criminal behaviour in a society where people cant control themselves. Why are we still dealing with this in 2017?

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    I am just open mouthed that Weinstein and others think they can get away with that sort behaviour. Not only do they assume they are untouchable but they get away with it for long periods of time which beggars belief.

Sexual assault is criminal behaviour and a criminal offence. Serious bullying and manipulation comes under the law of criminal harrassment.

I know there are reasons but I do have a hard time understanding why the matter was not reported immediately.

I have been well brought up with standards of common decency. Its not even that...I know the boundaries stop well before touching people or making lewd suggestions especially from a position of power.

It seems endemic in society and the Weinstein case heightens the awareness. Maybe some good comes out of these major stories in that we can start to clamp down on this sort of abuse.

All these names start to come up of actors and abuse happening say 20 years ago. I dont understand why it was not reported at the time to let the courts decide.

Is there a grey area with this? I just see mental illness and criminal behaviour in a society where people cant control themselves. Why are we still dealing with this in 2017?
    I don't think anyone would disagree with you. The length of time thing also raises questions, but perhaps it's about people feeling able to raise the issue. Without a doubt there are sexual predators, but there are also clumsy stupid people, and also the totally naive. It's a minefield.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    The Truth linestage
    Cary 805c SET amps

I'm Martin.

IAll these names start to come up of actors and abuse happening say 20 years ago. I dont understand why it was not reported at the time to let the courts decide.

As far as the Weinstein situation goes it appears that they were worried that it would end their careers. Which it might well have done. 'You'll never work in this town again' was not an empty threat coming from him.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

montesquieu Guest

[...]

It's plain as day why people didn't report it - Weinstein had a huge amount of power in the entertainment industry, some women literally did not work again in Holywood after rejecting him (he even had a film part taken away overnight from one actress's boyfriend).

Then there's the question of who gets believed (as we say with Saville, Rolf Harris etc) - some unknown/ordinary person, or some big shot with pots of money and connections? It's perfectly understandable how in this sort of culture people are too scared to report things.

I'm Grant.

Its always been this way tho and probably always will be, to an extent. That is one of powers' attractions. Royal family silenced many folk as did pretty much every leader.. Hell, Truman was once in the KKK
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by ReggieB View Post
    I agree too. It's not wrong to make an advance, what is wrong is to ignore the rejection of that advance.
    Having watched this

I think I should add: It is also wrong to make an advance in a situation where it is impossible or very difficult for the other party to reject that advance.
    Rob.