+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why vinyl matters

I'm Shaun.

Default Why vinyl matters

I'm Adrian.

Whilst I love vinyl and shun all things digital I don't believe it can survive the evolution of technology over the next 50 years. It will die as an industry just as most things we take fur granted today will
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm Martin.

The music matters and Im getting a bit fed up of the nostalgia slant of these articles as if vinyl is the only thing that defines self, community and culture.

The article like others is all over the place...the 17 year old lad has a "shitty $50 dollar player" so its not even about sound quality. Its mainly about some twisted nostalgia and the glorious time we had buying our vinyl albums.

I enjoy vinyl but the record shop was never the centre of my world and I dont think I will be buying it in significant quantities again. Im wondering if I really do need to hold a 12" sleeve as a physical object as I havent been all that bothered with buying them again

Its a question of educating ourselves and accepting to the possibilities of new technology. In a way the vinyl revival is confusing me. I have heard great things digitally and there has never been a better time for the easy availability of music. As long as I have music I would welcome the convenience of speaking to a voice recognition system and streaming one of millions of tracks in the library.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    The music matters and Im getting a bit fed up of the nostalgia slant of these articles as if vinyl is the only thing that defines self, community and culture.

The article like others is all over the place...the 17 year old lad has a "shitty $50 dollar player" so its not even about sound quality. Its mainly about some twisted nostalgia and the glorious time we had buying our vinyl albums.

I enjoy vinyl but the record shop was never the centre of my world and I dont think I will be buying it in significant quantities again. Im wondering if I really do need to hold a 12" sleeve as a physical object as I havent been all that bothered with buying them again

Its a question of educating ourselves and accepting to the possibilities of new technology. In a way the vinyl revival is confusing me. I have heard great things digitally and there has never been a better time for the easy availability of music. As long as I have music I would welcome the convenience of speaking to a voice recognition system and streaming one of millions of tracks in the library.
    Ive got speech recog and enjoy it but it doesn't work as well as a keyboard for everything. Ive found that say s 10" tablet can give a similar feel to an album cover. I think this is where something like Roon comes into its own. Pity I can't afford it
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Its not so much that example of how technology is changing but the people harping on about vinyl in their youth like it was some golden age and out of body experience.

I just bought the stuff as there was no other format apart from tapes. I didnt have a community experience in the record shop and the stock was usually very limited or sold out. If anything the people behind the counter sneered at my choices and I didnt really experience a fountain of knowledge in pointing me towards amazing experiences. Maybe I should have put my tartan bondage trousers on and hung about there more

I just dont buy that we were more connected with the music because we lowered a needle. Im quite happy that there is a so called revival but I think it will peak at a tiny fraction of total sales.

It may be driven by the hipsters but what are the younger people today really missing out on when they have more gadgets and direct access than we could ever have dreamed of.

I'm Adrian.

Its not so much that example of how technology is changing but the people harping on about vinyl in their youth like it was some golden age and out of body experience.

I just bought the stuff as there was no other format apart from tapes. I didnt have a community experience in the record shop and the stock was usually very limited or sold out. If anything the people behind the counter sneered at my choices and I didnt really experience a fountain of knowledge in pointing me towards amazing experiences. Maybe I should have put my tartan bondage trousers on and hung about there more

I just dont buy that we were more connected with the music because we lowered a needle. Im quite happy that there is a so called revival but I think it will peak at a tiny fraction of total sales.

It may be driven by the hipsters but what are the younger people today really missing out on when they have more gadgets and direct access than we could ever have dreamed of.
    I disagree. I loved going to the 4 record shops in my nearest town and browsing the albums. The whole experience was special and something I looked forward to all week while at school, having saved up my pocket/paper round money. I guess at 15 it made me feel a little grown up, I don't know, but it was special in a way then which today it isn't.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

This part is mostly bollocks to me,

"It’s just nice to be able to sit down and listen to music for no other reason than to sit down and listen to music. When you’re in your car, music is an afterthought. You put some music on when you’re cooking in the kitchen, or when you’re sitting on an airplane and staring out the window, bored. It’s a background function to some other activity. You used to put a record on for no other reason than to sit down and completely immerse yourself in the music, the lyric sheet and the pictures; sit there and dream your life away. It was pretty cool.
    It still is pretty cool if you want it to be and you don't necessarily need an LP to achieve it. I pretty much always put music on to sit down and listen to it, it's nearly always a file from a server and I can immerse myself in it, whilst reading the sleeve notes/lyrics I have scanned to .pdf and read on a tablet PC. Which I find much easier, especially with subdued lighting to compliment the immersive listening. Going further, isn't it easier to immerse yourself in a complete work if you don't have to get up halfway through to change sides? Phaedra (Tangerine Dream) without having to get up and the lights down low can be totally immersive if you don't have to move, which you can't do with an LP.

Music in the car is far from an after thought either, its normally carefully chosen and whilst cooking too. I don't do playlists or shuffle play. An album in my world is a complete work, played from start to finish. So a load of bollocks IMHO and completely dependant on the person listening to the music and how they choose to engage with it, it's feck all to do with if it's vinyl or not.

None of the above though is directed at the OP, just the author of the nonsense article, so thanks for sharing it

I do however think LPs will still be around in 50 years time, it's a niche market yes, but a strong and resilient one. Plus with kids buying lots of vinyl now, they are likely to be where we are now in half a century.

It's not vinyl, CDs, internet streaming, file based audio, tape, radio or live that matters . . it's the music itself.

Sent from my XT1580 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tim; 04-11-2017 at 02:08.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Shaun.

Well again, it is all down to us as individuals, at least I hope we are. I also remember being fourteen years old and saving every penny to go and buy an LP which was indeed a very precious experience. Of course back then an LP would set you back £3.50 and not twenty six quid but I guess it's all relative. And of course regarding the old digital versus vinyl crap, I have both because there are times when I want both. Yes, Brian Eno's ambient stuff would be ruined on vinyl where I would be in the dark with just the glow of valves and a few LED's and no, I bloody wouldn't want to get up after each side to turn it over. That would be akin to having to put on a condom when things are getting a tad heated. However,
    there are times when the vinyl experience is a must. I am just happy I have the choice. I am also happy I have that big piece of artwork as well because vinyl is not just about the music.

I'm Shaun.

Its not so much that example of how technology is changing but the people harping on about vinyl in their youth like it was some golden age
    It was...! It was 1973 and it most certainly was. There has been nothing like it since.

I'm Grant.

I used to love flipping through those big racks too. Remember finding zep 1. That big zeppelin. Looked so cool I grabbed it and went to counter. The hippy said. "You'll not like this"
    I persevered and took it home. Boy was that a moment
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast