+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Why vinyl matters

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    , I’m stuck in the 70’s.
    As long as you've got the '70s covered all the other decades are pretty much superfluous. Or at best an interesting diversion
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Chris.

Haha!

Vinyl was the only way of buying music really so there was no choice. Tapes were too fragile for me.

I did like the format and the artwork and lyrics. Gatefolds. My first album was Out of the Blue by ELO and I analysed all the artwork and lyrics. They were part of my youth.

Nostalgic? Yes. Let's face it though - they were/are easy to damage, were static and attracted dust. And a scratch could ruin the whole thing.

But is is the ultimate way of getting proper analogue music into a HiFi system, if done right.

It is a fashion now to an extent, a fad for the kids to be retro. At least, that's what I have seen (I'm the Grandad at work). I don't see them dying out though - there were too many made and decent gear to play them is still manufactured. Come on! Analogue, with no changes to the music has to be the best thing.

I have an album, one that was never actually made from a group called Maggie's Dream called Elysium. It is basically downloads from Youtube. I love this album and even if it is rubbish quality, I still listen to it quite often, so it is the music first for me. Give me a transistor radio over nothing at all.

Best is live music, preferably for me, in a localpub. Now, that IS dying out!

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    Haha!

Best is live music, preferably for me, in a localpub. Now, that IS dying out!
    Yes I agree that live music is the way to go! When I was a teenager rock concerts were every other week, big shows! In large venues. I went to every one I could, went with friends to bands I wasn’t all that fond of.

But today things are different. Big shows cost a LOT to see, and the last few I’ve attended were not as much fun as I had remembered. But I have discovered that local bands, doing cover songs of all the great music of my childhood, now that’s entertainment! One can drink, and smoke, and stand or sit, yes music at the local club is the way to go for me! It seems to be a lot more fun than the large shows. Plus, most of the “popular”, musicians today have nothing I care to hear. And I’m sure not paying $150, to see it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    As long as you've got the '70s covered all the other decades are pretty much superfluous. Or at best an interesting diversion
    I may drift into the late 60’s, and into the early 80’s a bit, but the bulk of my collection is 70’s. And, a few surprises from the 90’s! Like STP, and Brother Cain.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    Plus, most of the “popular”, musicians today have nothing I care to hear. And I’m sure not paying $150, to see it.
    I'll join you in the pub - It's my round
    Last edited by Lerxst; 11-11-2017 at 19:00.

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    I'll join you in the pub - It's my round

I'm Steve.

Seeing live bands doesn't have to be expensive-every summer, up and down the country, motorcycle clubs hold rallies always with live music, generally a mix of band you've heard of, tribute bands and local groups. Can't beat a sunny afternoon sat on the grass with a beer or whatever, and the weekend would cost around 20-40 quid and that includes camping! Pretty much self-policed, I've never seen any trouble, and at some of them you don't even need a bike!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234