+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 483 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787137 ... LastLast

Thread: The Coffeehouse.... Baristi, Barista, Bariste

I'm Grant.

A real mishmash of beans today. Dunno what it will taste like. Had machine troubles

Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Gary.

Decided to upgrade my coffee system (Gold Blend) and after reading a lot of good things about them bought one of these:
    http://www.espressoperfecto.com/best...spresso-maker/ (Choice #1)

Any thoughts about how best to use from the resident coffee Gurus?
    Dont do espresso, but a couple of espresso shots with frothy milk from a good frother, my next buy, will be what Im looking at.

What am I looking at here, recommended ground coffee beans, grind my own as its more fun...answers on a postcard please.

Considered pulling the trigger on a spendy bean to cup machine, but will prefer a more hands on approach, any money saved will go to coffee!

Thanks.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Grant.

is this the Cuisinox Roma? attractive pot. not used a stove pot for years but they do work. most milk frothers these days are heated whipped types. think justin has one. ive got a whisker although dont use it much. i heat milk in micro then whisk it, but prefer to steam it personally.

http://www.tankcoffee.com/shop/ ... they do nice beans and will grind it to your preferred method too..ie for you, stovetop. great value
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Nice Kenyan
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Svend.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Decided to upgrade my coffee system (Gold Blend) and after reading a lot of good things about them bought one of these:
    http://www.espressoperfecto.com/best...spresso-maker/ (Choice #1)

Any thoughts about how best to use from the resident coffee Gurus?
    Dont do espresso, but a couple of espresso shots with frothy milk from a good frother, my next buy, will be what Im looking at.

What am I looking at here, recommended ground coffee beans, grind my own as its more fun...answers on a postcard please.

Considered pulling the trigger on a spendy bean to cup machine, but will prefer a more hands on approach, any money saved will go to coffee!

Thanks.
    Stovetop moka pots are a special thing. They make delicious coffee. We used one for years before going all-in for an ECM Giotto.

Some tips:
    - don't use the finest espresso grind coffee, or else it will choke the screen and blow the pressure relief valve; these pots don't produce enough pressure to pass the fine grind; so use pre-ground coffee intended for moka pots (slightly coarser grind), or grind your own and experiment with fineness.
    - don't pack down the grinds tightly in the coffee basket (see above); just tamp it lightly or tap the basket on the counter to settle, then level it; the grinds expand once the water hits it and you want to leave them a little elbow room in the basket.
    - start with your stove burner on medium to med-high, leave the lid open so you can watch it, then as soon as the coffee starts flowing turn it down to med-low or less; try not to let it boil and spit, or you will overcook the coffee; tweak the heat get just enough to keep it flowing steadily without boiling it; the reward is a thicker, sweeter tasting brew.
    - you can get a stovetop frother which works great (like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bialetti-20...p+milk+frother); you heat the milk, then pump the plunger until it's frothed. If you buy one of these, make sure it has a thick bottom to avoid burning the milk. Bodum makes a microwaveable one which is a good option.

It will take some experimenting to get it all right, but it's worth it. You may never want to upgrade from here. Millions of Italians use moka pots as their daily brewers.

Enjoy!

Svend

I'm Gary.

Great advice, thanks very much.

@Grant.
    Yeah, its the Cuisinox Roma 6 cup, clicked on one of these to go with it, arriving tomorrow.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sorted I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Svend N View Post
    Stovetop moka pots are a special thing. They make delicious coffee. We used one for years before going all-in for an ECM Giotto.

Some tips:
    - don't use the finest espresso grind coffee, or else it will choke the screen and blow the pressure relief valve; these pots don't produce enough pressure to pass the fine grind; so use pre-ground coffee intended for moka pots (slightly coarser grind), or grind your own and experiment with fineness.
    - don't pack down the grinds tightly in the coffee basket (see above); just tamp it lightly or tap the basket on the counter to settle, then level it; the grinds expand once the water hits it and you want to leave them a little elbow room in the basket.
    - start with your stove burner on medium to med-high, leave the lid open so you can watch it, then as soon as the coffee starts flowing turn it down to med-low or less; try not to let it boil and spit, or you will overcook the coffee; tweak the heat get just enough to keep it flowing steadily without boiling it; the reward is a thicker, sweeter tasting brew.
    - you can get a stovetop frother which works great (like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bialetti-20...p+milk+frother); you heat the milk, then pump the plunger until it's frothed. If you buy one of these, make sure it has a thick bottom to avoid burning the milk. Bodum makes a microwaveable one which is a good option.

It will take some experimenting to get it all right, but it's worth it. You may never want to upgrade from here. Millions of Italians use moka pots as their daily brewers.

Enjoy!

Svend
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Svend.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Great advice, thanks very much.

@Grant.
    Yeah, its the Cuisinox Roma 6 cup, clicked on one of these to go with it, arriving tomorrow.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sorted I think.
    Any time.... Post back if you need more advice. I think we used moka pots for at least 20 years before getting a big machine. We still use them when travelling, actually -- Bialetti makes one with integral heating element that plugs into the wall... https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bialetti-El...espresso+maker
    Beats drinking hotel coffee by a long shot (no pun intended).

I'm Grant.

Ethiopia rules

Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

was in Camaroon country today but it got all wet and drunk before a pic could be taken.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Gary.

Well, thats the coffee sorted.

Cuisinox Roma 6 cup Moka pot.
    Bialetti Tuttocrema milk frother 6 cup
    Heston Blumenthal Sage Smart Grinder Pro

Was originally going to pick up a Delonghi bean to cup automatic, but decided against spending that ammount of cash just on a coffee machine.
    Besides, part of the fun I think is being hands on with it.
    Half the price and twice the fun.

Reading over the whole thread to look for coffee bean reccys.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 17-03-2018 at 14:38.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

+ Reply to Thread