+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WTD: Old Jazz Album Covers

I'm Mark.

I feel I must point out that Sir Cliff was one hot property in the 50s and did a lot to aid the progression of the music industry.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by westlower View Post
    bastard batchelor!
    rich bastard batchelor!
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Len Co View Post
    I feel I must point out that Sir Cliff was one hot property in the 50s and did a lot to aid the progression of the music industry.
    Perhaps but what path did he lead it down. Elvis wannabe stage act and cheesy movies! Admittedly he had a good voice but no charisma!

Geoff

I'm Mark.

I'm not sure charisma was a factor in those days Geoff, artists didn't get the sort of exposure that they do now. As I recall he was one of the earliest British acts to put/keep the UK on the map and clearly one of the longest lived.
    I'm not a fan but give him his due.

I'm Geoff.

I'm not sure charisma was a factor in those days Geoff, artists didn't get the sort of exposure that they do now. As I recall he was one of the earliest British acts to put/keep the UK on the map and clearly one of the longest lived.
    I'm not a fan but give him his due.
    I thought I did: I agree he had a good voice. However, he was not an innovator like Presley and he was soon positioned to be a non-threatening middle of the road performer peddling nonsense like "batchelor boy" and "summer holiday". It might have been interesting to see how his career would have developed if he had stuck with rock and roll.

Cliff was one a stable of largely forgettable pretty boys groomed for stardom by Larry Parnes, the Simon Cowell/Louis Walsh of his day. The formula was crude: pretty boy, memorable "butch" name, and bland hummable tunes. Of the other credible musicians to emerge from this stable (e.g. Billy Fury and Georgie Fame) Joe Brown famously refused to change his name to Elmer Twitch. I don't think many of the British acts to emerge in the 60's would cite (the Shadow less) Cliff as an influence.

Geoff

I'm Mark.

Okay, I surrender, should have known better than to enter a Cliff-bashing session ....... by the way, everyone over 50 please form an orderly queue to surrender your copyrights, I'm sure you can't wait.
    Apologies for taking this thread off-topic a little (but I didn't start it).

Please refer to and bear in mind the OPs request.

I'm Geoff.

Okay, I surrender, should have known better than to enter a Cliff-bashing session ....... by the way, everyone over 50 please form an orderly queue to surrender your copyrights, I'm sure you can't wait.
    Apologies for taking this thread off-topic a little (but I didn't start it).

Please refer to and bear in mind the OPs request.
    Mark,

one man's meat is another man's poison. I wouldn't go as far as to say Cliff is poisonous, but I do find him hard to digest! Not sure how we got on to the subject from old album covers?

If I was naming Cliff based upon his musical output it would be Harry Hill!

Geoff

I'm Mark.

Geoff, I was about 7 when Cliff did 'Move It', perhaps his finest hour, Happy Days!

**Don't forget the Jazz album sleeves folks**

I'm Edward.

I thought the Shadows were quite good - esp. Apache.

Oh, when I was young ....
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Adam.

poisonous rich bastard batchelor!

Let's get the OP some jazz covers people!
    unfortunately / fortunately all my covers have vinyl in them.
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast