The Album Club choice for November comes courtesy of Barry with Rory Gallagher’s ‘Edged in Blue’. As usual please listen to the album in its entirety before you comment and/or vote.

Rory Gallagher – ‘Edged in Blue’

With this album we go back to some no-nonsense good old back-to-basics R&B, courtesy of late Irish bluesman Rory Gallagher. I have chosen this particular album from Gallagher’s copious output, as it is a mixture of some slow blues with some live tracks that are full-throttle, ‘pedal to the metal’ driving blues. I’m not going to pick out any tracks in particular – I love them all.

Gallagher was a consummate Blues guitar player, displaying none of the ‘airs and graces’ that afflicted some of his contemporaries. A modest humble man who clearly loved playing the Blues and entertaining. He would often be one of the first to show up at free festival in his van, guitar in hand saying: “Can I play? Where do I plug in?”

This is some Blues at its finest, performed by someone who was great exponent of the genre and who sadly died far too young.

Play it loud and enjoy!

(‘Edged in Blue’ is a compilation album and a downloadable copy does not exist on YouTube. So I have had to separately list the tracks (in playing order) and choose those that are closest to the playing time as used on the album. Apologies for the piecemeal YouTube listing; it should at least give you the flavour of ‘Edged in Blue’.)

Don’t Start Me to Talkin’

The Loop

Calling Card

Heaven’s Gate

At the Depot

Brute Force and Ignorance

Loanshark Blues

I Could Have Had Religion

Ride on Red, Ride on

I Wonder Who

Seven Days