+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Electronics Engineer near me? LPS project

I'm Edward.

Default Electronics Engineer near me? LPS project

Any EEs here that are near me or know of an EE near me? I'm in London N2. Someone within say an hour from me?

I'd like to resurrect/complete my part build Linear Power Supply (based on Paul Hynes' regulators and a Toroidy Transformer).

Rather than send the part finished project around the country on spec I would prefer to take it to someone who can make an assessment there and then, discuss costs etc.

But maybe, if I provide detailed pictures, specs etc via email someone can do the assessment anyway. I have very detailed specs from Paul Hynes and Tomasz Lachowski. This in respect of the regulators/rectifiers from Paul and the transformer windings from Tomasz.

I already have most of the bits such as the regulators, transformer, box etc. It is essentially like the HDPlex LPS units. What probably is still required are higher spec plugs and heatsinks.

thx
    E
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Adam.

David Coe, Wimbledon.
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Simon.

Shoot me a pic over. It might as simple as giving you an additional diagram.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
    Shoot me a pic over. It might as simple as giving you an additional diagram.
    Thanks Simon

Here are some pics I did earlier. The LPS project went slightly awry (as you will note) and had to be partly dismantled. This project is beyond my paygrade so I think I need an EE to finish it.

Not included in the pics is the additional data I got from Paul Hynes and the transformer guy.

Perhaps I had better go see David Coe (thanks Adam). But I recognise an EE may not want to fix a partly completed project.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Chris.

Hi Edward
    I am in New Zealand so not too far away !! I have reviewed the images and the design is interesting that it packages all the modules around the toroidal transformer, normally a no no, is to worst case circumnavigate wiring around a transformer. So what you need to do is supply the person
    doing this work with the schematic diagram or connection layout.

The basic recipe will be
    Primary winding to the transformer via a fuse on the active, safety earth accessing the chassis and modules to a central point called a star earth similarly accessing the star earth.

Secondary winding of the transformer to bridge rectifiers - usually what is called a full wave bridge, and suggests the transformer has 6 wires for this - 2 each, to each rectifier. From each rectifier then the a capacitor or capacitors.

With three lots of secondary DC voltage then to each regulator module, and from each regulator module possibly to secondary current protection to each of the three sockets. Current protection is sometimes afforded by linear type regulators, but there are many other forms.

You might also try to contact Paul, as most designers are only too pleased to see their product performing well.

Let me know if I can assist further.

Cheers / Chris

I'm Edward.

Thanks Chris

But to be honest this is way above my head. Sounds like maybe it should be a two box affair.

I would not know where to start with providing a schematic diagram.

cheers
    Edward

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    Perhaps I had better go see David Coe (thanks Adam). But I recognise an EE may not want to fix a partly completed project.
    Id say it worth speaking with him, he's very helpful
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

+ Reply to Thread