+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do we do it!

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Yes, but I'm talking about listening to music being reproduced on some sort of mechanical or electrical device.

Marco.
    Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....ultimate pleasure
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Thumbs up The thrill a couple of Duracells can bring....

Is that what the wife told you?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    For me Barry it's that I've never stopped buying or discovering music since I started over 40 years ago and they mount up. The older I get the wider my love for differing music gets too. However, with a really good music server and Spotify, the rate I buy at has slowed somewhat in the last few years.

I guess too as I enjoy and follow a large number of artists who are still actively touring, recording and releasing music, then it's inevitable it's going to continue.

I don't understand people who have lots of equipment either - you can only listen to one system at a time right?

Suum cuique
    true, but I have my dedicated treated room in the garden and my more modest office system that I use whenever I am invoicing and other mundane office stuff. Other than that I only have a valve amp I won't ever sell and some speakers and project parts. Each to his own.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

Wink 'At one' with the plants....

Quote Originally Posted by paulf-2007 View Post
    true, but I have my dedicated treated room in the garden...
    Is that where she kicks you out to, lol?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Yo Timbo, good to see popping in again. Hope you're well

Marco.
    I am thanks, especially since getting all my gear out of storage last week and firing up some toons! I've been living with a Bluetooth speaker since May and it's like a breath of fresh air to have a file server going again. To top that, the people I shared a house with after coming back from China, didn't really have any interest in music and don't even have a stereo or even a single CD. Just not something they do, so I was a little starved musically, great people though and they treated me like family.

Actually a good test to see what really matters, the music or the system? Well for me it's both, I can (just about) live without a Hi-Fi but it's not pleasant and I had to go to even more live shows to compensate. However I'm still content not swapping and changing stuff around, so I'm near my journeys end, but not quite as I have another house move in the new year. I will (finally) be getting a TT soon, as I've been buying a fair bit of vinyl at gigs. Nothing fancy, probably a Rega or Michell TechnoDec as I have a Michell TechnoArm.

Good to be back in the land of music though - my play rate on Last.fm has gone through the roof over the last few days
    Last edited by Tim; 04-11-2017 at 01:04.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

Good to hear you're well, mate

Yeah, I know what you mean. It's not good being made to go 'cold turkey' on access to a decent system, or spending a significant amount of time in the company of folk who aren't into music!

It'll be good when you finally get a chance to listen to some vinyl. In terms of T/T, I'd go for the Michell, as it's better engineered, and so I think it'll appeal to you more, both visually and sonically. If you could stretch to a Gyro though, even better!

Don't know how you can handle so many house moves, as all the upheaval would seriously do my head in, but I'm sure it'll be worth it in the end

Marco.
    Main System

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Haha, I worked it out the other day, that was move number 36 in my lifetime. I'm planning on the next being the final one, then I can throw away the boxes, buy another pair of Harbeths and set up everything for good, time to set down some roots and know where everything is!

I have considered a Gyro, but I'm not really sure I can justify the outlay as playing LPs (and please don't anyone take this the wrong way) will be more a novelty than serious listening for me. Also a bit of nostalgia playing records from my youth, which haven't seen a turntable in decades. It probably will be the Michell, but I need to consider how much use it's likely to get? And you are bang on, it is much more visually appealing to me than the Rega as well as being a better performer, but I do quite like the minimalist lines of Rega decks.

Despite what people may think, I've nothing against vinyl, all music is good, I'm just lazy and really enjoy relaxing and listening without having to get up - I'll cue two or three albums at a time, turn down the lights and float away, I still don't have a TV so it's my main entertainment. I also have a low tolerance threshold for any sort of click or pop. I know you can do a lot to alleviate that, but that's another investment in both time and money

I'm Martin.

When I realised I was trying to get my vinyl to sound like my CDs that's when I gave up with it. Just too much money required. Easier just to buy the CD.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    When I realised I was trying to get my vinyl to sound like my CDs that's when I gave up with it. Just too much money required. Easier just to buy the CD.
    Can't argue with that logic. Similar story with my file server, it was cheaper than buying a new CDP, but sounded better so the CDP went. I still buy 90% CDs though, much prefer that to a download.

Having said all that, I do buy downloads and vinyl too - some things can only be sourced on each format. It annoys me when you can only buy a download though, especially if it's just a lossy file

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Haha, I worked it out the other day, that was move number 36 in my lifetime.
    36? Bloody hell... I've had 3, which is more than enough!! We've got *so* much stuff now in this house, accumulated over the years, that the thought of transferring it all to somewhere else would fill me with dread....

I have considered a Gyro, but I'm not really sure I can justify the outlay as playing LPs (and please don't anyone take this the wrong way) will be more a novelty than serious listening for me.
    Lol, you say that, but trust me, many other 'digiphiles' have said similar things, after taking the plunge into the 'dark side'... Then find that they can't stop listening to vinyl, and the entry-level turntable that they thought would 'do', soon gets replaced with something better!

Just something for you to think about, as if you can stretch to a Gyro, a) it'll look even sexier (which I know is a consideration for you), and b) sonically, it'll TROUNCE a 'dec', and it'd be a shame to waste money on something that won't do the job for you in the long term.

Far better to get it RIGHT first time, put it to bed, and then concentrate on just enjoying the music

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast