+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do we do it!

I'm Dennis.

Yes Paul, absolutely.

I'm Neil.

I have two systems because in a former life I did not always have the ability to listen to music in the best room when I wanted to. Shared space means compromising and allowing other folks time to use the living room, so I had a similar sounding set up in a smaller less ideal room for those times when the living room was not available to me. In my current life the two systems still exist but one is now more a work system for reviewing and the other less critical use, though it is in many ways as good as the review use set up.

I do have some spare kit as I didn't always move kit on and I did for awhile collect Marantz CD players. My EBay searches are usually me looking for the odd Marantz I would still like, and I hope for sensible prices not greedy crazy far eastern prices. I also collected tuners for awhile for a review project which might still be finished.... Someday.

Music I have a lot already thousand plus CDs, SACD etc and a similar amount of vinyl so I don't buy so much these days as I struggle to fin much new music to buy,though I do buy a fair bit of older music from time to time, stuff I didn't know about.

I have what I have to get closer to the music I love to listen to.
    Regards Neil

I'm Grant.

used to have 3 decent systems, but barely have one now although a few bits lying around. Going for convenience now although trying to keep quality as high as I can too. Digital is the way to go for this I think as you can do quite well for relatively little. When its your hobby I dont see any issue with having and trying lots of stuff as long as you can afford it
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Indeed. No problem having and trying lots of stuff, *as long* as you have the basis of a system that you're happy with.

When that's not the case, however, and you're continually fretting about some aspect of your system that's not right, and trying to fix it with yet another 'new box', cable or whatever, it can be a rather unhappy place for your head to be...

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Indeed. No problem having and trying lots of stuff, *as long* as you have the basis of a system that you're happy with.

When that's not the case, however, and you're continually fretting about some aspect of your system that's not right, and trying to fix it with yet another 'new box', cable or whatever, it can be a rather unhappy place for your head to be...

Marco.
    Agreed. get the system so your relatively happy and then try stuff if you must. if it doesnt work then move it on, not the rest of system to try and make it work
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm jamie.

im at a point now where ive had enough of buying and just want to listen to the music instead of analyzing that cymbal thats coming up in a minute to hear how it sounds after tweaking!
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    im at a point now where ive had enough of buying and just want to listen to the music instead of analyzing that cymbal thats coming up in a minute to hear how it sounds after tweaking!
    That works for me except when the cymbal arrives and it doesn't sound like a cymbal. Then I'm out buying again.

Although having said that latest incarnation of my lash up is not giving me that issue at all. Touch wood.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Mike.

I may be odd but hey ho.

In terms of outlay, I have a Micky Mouse system, definitely more a stereo than a hi-fi , but it connects me to the music in exactly the way I like and that'll do me.
    Less bling, more integrity ©Spenagio

I'm Neil.

See, I'm the absolute opposite from Jerry (JANDL100) in terms of what HiFi means to me. Jerry please feel to correct me if I'm wrong, but he enjoys the journey & having different perspectives on the music, the excitement of a new take, but it doesn't affect his love of the music. As for me a few years ago, I went too far, craved more and more, it stopped me loving the music... Eventually I managed to stop listening to the HiFi through a careful (and expensive!) rethink and setup of my entire system. Now I daren't touch it! I am listening to the music again, and not things like bass to midbass integration, phase response, grain, vocal sibilance, harmonic decays, and all the rest...
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Dennis.

I cannot say that I am in a relaxed happiness mode, my new equipment now shows vocal recordings to be so widely differing that it is dismaying.

Also on broadcast material the changes in level even within one programme actually make me jump, but I'm hearing more than ever before, and thinking that it is just a cleaner window, or at least hoping it is.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast