+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do we do it!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Mine too. I stopped selling stuff altogether so that I could always go back and re-create previous set-ups. If you are a box swapper this means that kit starts piling up real quick. But it doesn't work and I have no idea why.
    Well, there can only be two logical explanations... Either, that in "going back to what was there in the first place", *something* [an influential criterion] was omitted from the equation. Or the lack of difference/improvement or not heard, originally or otherwise, was imagined.

And that possible 'something' (above) exists outside of simply the swapping back and forth of boxes or cables... And yet folks say things such as 'cable-dressing', and other subtle aspects of the set up of a system, are irrelevant

Think again.....

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

You are about to make an unscheduled stop.

In the Twilight Zone

Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Brook.

Yes Marko but one man's journey is another man's illness. I would guess that when starting out in this hobby the majority of us avidly read all the magazines of the time trying to soak up as much information as possible, so information that was taken as gospel early on was poo-pooed as a reviewer trying to please a distributor with a good review when cynicism takes over as we age. How many times have we read that changing just one thing in a system, maybe a cartridge, can give us more attack (for example) in a drummer's rim shots but at the same time a slightly sloppy bass line (for example).
    We are conditioned to think there is always a trade off, & no such thing as a "free lunch", yet we tinker in the hope of finding a never before found magic formula that elevates our system to the "perfect one".

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    just round the next bend
    Haha... For some, it's indeed a case of going "round the bend"!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Shaun.

My current sound system has put me in a place where I no longer feel the need for change. Apart from that very bottom octave which is missing now but wasn't last year, everything is fine with me. Since 1979 though it has been a very long journey to get where I am now.

Question Are you 'on a journey', or simply a 'hi-fi victim'...?

Quote Originally Posted by speedracer View Post
    Yes Marko but one man's journey is another man's illness.
    Absolutely, Brook.

Here's the thing though... How many of us in this game think that we're "on a journey", and fully in control of our destination, when in fact we're out of control, going nowhere and suffering from a form of illness [neurosis] - whilst in the process simply emptying our bank accounts?

And crucially - how do you differentiate between both?

For me, one look through the classifieds section on any hi-fi forum, identifying the regulars there, subsequently [and very ably] showcases the 'hi-fi victims', or those with 300-posts long Gallery threads, lol... Jerry's exempt from this, as he's quite clearly happy with and very good at what he does!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Martin.

How boring would it be if everyone just bought a system and was happy with it and stopped there?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Indeed... Let's not forget that I've been on my "journey" since 1982 (I didn't just 'arrive instantly' at where I am now) - but the "journey" had to end sometime, and somewhere!

That's the key point here: knowing when to 'get off the bus at the right stop', rather than continually on the road to nowhere...

Marco.
    Main System

I'm James.

There is always a scratch to itch with hifi. I think sometimes it's like music, we all like variety and don't just play the one record. I think this curiosity leads us to try different equipment as we can get bored with the sound we have. But on many occasions we end up with a system that sounds different and not necessarily better. Sometimes different can trick us into thinking we have moved to something better. The brain and ears can play tricks as I have recently found out.

I also think the journey is part of our interest in hifi and once hooked it's like a drug, you want more and more. Personally as much as I have a great interest in the subject I don't feel I need to change anything significant in my system as I feel through 35 years of messing I have arrived at a place I feel very comfortable with. A bit like a Buddhist finding Nirvana.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Steven.

Now, if I want to go on a journey, i get on a train. The asylum is history.
    Wilson, Devialet, Innuos, Puritan, Claro

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast