Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
I am listening to the music again, and not things like bass to midbass integration, phase response, grain, vocal sibilance, harmonic decays, and all the rest...
Indeed... Anyone who constantly listens in such a 'cerebral' and analytical way, has clearly taken the fun out of listening to music, by obsessing over 'hifi-isms' at the expense of forming an emotional connection with the music.

You have to get your head out of that 'analytical' zone and instead RELAX INTO the music as a whole, without 'intellectualising' [overthinking] the experience and fretting over specific aspects of the sound. Sometimes a way of achieving that is to temporarily abandon using your main (expensive) system, and instead listen to music on something upon which you place less sonic demands.

That's why you can often derive as much pleasure (sometimes more) from listening to music on something so basic as a portable radio, as you do on your main system - and also why after spending time listening on something like that, or indeed anything deemed as being sonically inferior, then return to your main system, you often appreciate how good it really is!

'Absence makes the heart grow fonder', and all that.... Essentially, the exercise can help refocus your priorities. I do that sometimes with my secondary (home cinema) system in the lounge.

It's an approach that does seem to crystallise the fact that listening to music should, above all else, be FUN, and not taking things too seriously, lest you suck the enjoyment out of the whole experience, and turn it into a mundane 'test', rather than one of life's simple but very worthwhile pleasures!

Marco.